Friday, January 1, 2010

2010

Today our family (with my mom in tow) was invited to a traditional New Years party hosted by the Wohlands (Nicki's parents). My mom brought all of her 5 cats (actually she wore them - I call it her Zsa Zsa Gabor look, only faux not fur). Nicki's dad warmly welcomed us at the door (with a leash) and a hug. These people are truly wonderful and I feel blessed to know them. We met many years ago (Nicki's mom Doll and my Mom Zsa Zsa (Colleen) - best friends and business associates. Our kids played together, Nicki grew up with my two oldest girls. I knew Nicki would be assistant material because of her great track record for being amazing (even though I fired her again today).
50 people crammed into such a small space , the food provided was enough to feed my 400 volunteers, and the warmth in this home is most welcoming. It was interesting to see so many Proud Victims in that room that have at one time (and for some - still...) supported the event. A pink hard hat left evidence that maybe her dad Dennis may be participating again this year.
I make a point to observe certain strong qualities in folks (always looking for tips....), and was impressed by the leadership I witnessed regarding the Chinese gift exchange. Dennis took full control inside his home, yet puts his guests at ease with his welcoming warm nature.
I left with a plastic statue of monkeys, a outdated set of dishes that I will likely pon off on my newly engaged daughter, and a brittle glass thing that will end up in a vaccuum (when the case of posters crush it in my van because I forgot to remove it). I was not allowed to leave it there, and was busted when I attempted to do so. Gotta love those gatherings that make ones heart (and abdomen... thighs... and buttocks) swell.

Very soon, my break will end and the twitching will begin. 6 weeks away.......

No comments:

Post a Comment