Sunday, January 10, 2010

Unsung Heros

I am dedicating this post to all of our unsung heros that quietly give so much to the success of this event. We had a captains meeting today and I feel this is a great opportunity to honor some well deserving folks who have given much of their time and hearts over the years to help manage this event. Roni St. Onge, Tina MacQueen, Jaime Caza (who is also a major sponsor and wish mom), Christie / Glen Peters, Ginger Rudy, Mel Christoffersen (we know her now), Nadine Brokenshire, Louise (Weazie) Mitchel, my mom (Colleen Chupka), Delores and Dennis Wohland, Wendy Griffith, Melynda Revet, Shauna Short, Diana Maltais, Carrie Roulston, Stacey Abdella, Shauna Buist, Pat McMinn, Sam Styres, Joelle Baldry, Ollie Sluzer, Mike Coxworth, Bruce Bevan..... and yes well all know Nicki.
I hope I have not missed someone, please speak up if I have (this is that time of year.....).
These captains and head volunteers are like family - they're my peeps and I would be lost without them.

The last one I would like to mention is the quietest of all. This is my daughter Mandy.
Mandy was hospitalized as a child twice, in intensive care as a baby due to a severe brain injury which affected her overall health over the years. She was also diagnosed with cancer in her kidney at age 15 just after the completion of Kali's treatment. Mandy once laid in the very bed that Kali was diagnosed in and spent her first month. The tumor was removed and benign but not without complication. The next years to follow after that surgery were very difficult for her and we spent much time in hospital. This particular daughter, next to Kali had ongoing, intense health concerns for many years.
I am proud to say that she is now a beautiful, strong young woman who keeps our family on our toes with her unpredictable nature and crazy humor. Mandy is also a dog groomer assistant and is responsible for the pink stained seats in my van. During our promotional season, FRED and Mandy both come home pink (her hands smelling of bleach from de-pinking the shop). She tells me "never again!!" and caves for my next request for his touch up.
Mandy has been holding down the fort at home whilst her mother lives on the phone and computer. Suppers are prepared, house is cleaned, laundry done and dog is walked. She now shares her responsibilities with her younger sisters, however this does not seem to reduce the amount of tasks that pile up on a weekly basis. Mandy is not a captain like Meagan and Kyrsti, not the big cheese like Kali, but in her own quiet humble way she is a hero at home and I would be lost without her. She has a lot of Mel in her (the off the wall sense of humor and this is like medicine especially when the crunch causes so much stress.
To all of our unsung heros, thank you. You are amazing and I feel honored to have you in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Ok Tammy, this is so beautiful. For a woman who hasn't been able to cry in a long time you got me.
    Mandy is such a sweet girl that has a laugh that you can't help joining, God knew you needed her and her Mandism's.
    It's wonderful to hear how well he is doing and is able to contribute to the Hair massacure in a way that she is able and that makes it even more special. She really is an unsung hero and is making a difference in this world. Wait to go Miss Mandy, you Rock girlfriend!!!

    ReplyDelete