Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Happy 50 Gord!! Founder of St.Valentine's day Hair Massacre






I am dedicating this blog to Kali's Dad's and my OLDEST and dearest friend - Gordon MacDonald. Kidding aside, Gord's idea to start this insane event has now impacted thousands.
Gord has always been an extremely caring soul and would do anything for anybody.
When he received my distraught phone call on Halloween day (2002) that our daughter's hair was falling out in chunks (again)- he became inspired through heartbreak.
He decided to honor Kali though a headshave that he would head up at his workplace at Canada Post. He then worked on potential "innocent victims" at work (including my dear friend Nadine Brokenshire). When Nadine's contact info "fell" into Gord's hands (though clever tactics..), he then used the information about this "inspired" woman at work to use against me (in hopes that I would eventually cave and agree to shave). It worked, and I wanted to kill him for it. I phoned a close friend Claire (who had just lost her 14 month old due to relapse) to lean on for support (as I was not really into this idea of loosing the locks). Claire is fearless and craves wildness and fun. She wasn't interested in consoling me - she wanted to know where to sign up and became excited!! Her reaction changed my view on shaving (and being scared sh--less) and it became a truly rewarding and insanely fun experience (for both of us!).
I am glad for Gordons salesmanship.
He himself has inspired so many to pink, shave, sponsor or just be involved. 2010 event will be our 8th annual and Gordons 8th shave, 6th pinking. He wears it so proudly, and uses his pink locks to strike up conversation regarding his Kali and the Massacure.
Going back to the year 2001 - we invited an elderly Chinese man (who taught authentic Feng Shui at Grant McEwan) to come to our home as we desperately needed a change. Our family needed some luck. Life was bringing our family down fast, and we were about to loose everything (including the possibility of our daughter Kali).
Authentic Feng Shui practitioners are often prophetic and can read life lines and numerology. This man was sent to us through a friend we met at the Cross Cancer Clinic. Sad story there but wont get into that now...
There is also an unbelievable story attached to our experience with him (and WHY he came), however I will leave it for now as my focus is on how this affected Gord.
This man, after evaluating our home and current bleak situation read Gord's lifelines and numerology chart. He told Gordon that if he did not start a charity before age 49 that he would perish by 50. This frightened me, and for the next year I put the pressure on my husband to hurry up and DO SOMETHING!
Let me make this clear that this man's comment was not Gord's motivation for starting the Massacre. It was Kali. I am just glad he did for many reasons.
I am glad that he started this 'movement' that has made such an impact on the community.
I am glad he supported our daughter like that and helped her (and others like her) to see that hair loss is not always a bad thing - we can turn it around and make it fun!
I am glad because today he is 50, and we are all thinking "pfew".
I am glad for the twitches, ringing phones, stacking emails, lengthy lists of "to do's" that we endure to manage this ambitious event.
I am glad he picked me 4 1/2 years ago to take over his baby, I am sure that was very difficult for this very busy soul.
Gord spends his birthday alone in Ft.McMurray working on a technical problem for G.E. Security.
If I had a magic wand I would grant him a wish, as he is most deserving of it.
Happy Birthday Gord.




2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GORD! You are and always have been a rock to me and I love you for it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete