Sunday, December 20, 2009

my dad.



My first Massacure, 2006, we were on a stage at the East side of West Edmonton Mall, the one where Santa is in December (and now November). We were going for a world record – and we did it! We were the single largest head shave to happen under one roof in a 24 hour time period.
My favorite memory of that shave was getting my hair cut by one of the stylists... at 3am. I thought it looked good, so I thanked him and went to grab two folding chairs to put together to have a nap on. Not one of the best sleeps I’ve had. I then had to leave the event early to go write a test… Not one of the best marks I’ve had either. It was so much fun though!

Actually, my all time best memory happened at this first event! My dad died his hair pink and then shaved it off. Picture my dad, a little balding (but in a cute way!) was bleach blond for an entire week, then fluorescent pink for another month. Picture a pink highlighter. Did I mention that my dad is an electrician? He walked around raising money at his worksite for about a month previous to going pink; no one believed he would actually do it. He did in the end (I had faith) and he ended up raising a bunch of money from co-workers, among friends and family. He shaved his head (and we had such a cold winter that year..) and even though he was not recognized in the world record, he did me proud!

Just being with him, feeling the strange looks we got when we went to pool tournaments in bars, or walking around in the mall. Half the time I thought I was pink also from all the stares we would get! People would be rude and condescending before he would explain that he knew this little girl who loved pink. He would explain about Kali and how the Massacre was helping other kids like her; and before you could even ask them for money, people would be pulling out their wallets or shaking his hand.

He was asked many times if he had lost a bet and if this was his punishment. If they had really known my dad, they would have known that he would do anything for a child.

My dad rocks! And he is not alone. How many dads out there go pink and/or shave their heads for kids every year. I want to send out a special thanks for all the work you do throughout the year to raise such great kids, and then when you really go above and beyond and help out others. I find it amazing and I know that there are so many people out there that want to thank you for everything you do.

Happy half Father’s Day. I love you.
xx Nicki

2 comments: