Saturday, December 19, 2009

Families that Fundraise







Hi folks, my last post reflected on difficult memories that parents and families harbour as a result of their child's treatment. Todays event ties nicely into this. Skate for a Cure. It's family run like ours, Collin Parker (middle) heads things up here.

Dear friends of ours (the Cuccione Family) run a charity in their late son's name - Michael Cuccione Foundation. They have a research lab in Michaels name at the BC Children's Hospital.
They also have satellite events here in Edmonton, Italy, New York, and L.A.
Gloria (Michaels mom) and I refers to ourselves as "Moms on a Mission".
The Cucciones lost Michael at the age of 16 in 2001 due to sudden and unforeseen side effects many years after Michaels treatment. Michael was launching his acting career in his new sit com, his role as lead singer in Much Musics feature band - "Together", and maintaining his efforts on sending his message to the world that we MUST conquer cancer. Michael attended schools and high profile events much like we do, Jay Leno, The Pope, and the list goes on....
The Cuccione family live with the painful memories of their son's journey and yet they persevere running his charity as per Michaels request. I quite admire them for that. I know for a fact this is very difficult for the family, but much like us we all do it for the love of the kids.
For them, they no longer have their son to offer them hope.. as we do.
Our Edmonton money is pooled together funding the same research lab at the Stollery. We both feel very passionate about finding that cure, better / milder treatment for children.

Today - myself, Kyrsti, Kali and Steven took shifts as mascots (Dr. Patch Up / Kali Bear) and Santa. Kali took the shift after Steven as Doctor Patch - how ironic. This famous Stollery Bear made Kali's day on visits on 4E3 for that 3 year stint, now she is the one hugging the little kids.
After my slump, I was rejuvenated from my shift of playing the Kali Bear). Kyrsti took the first one). I can hug kids, find mischief, and seek attention without repercussion to my angelic reputation.
I guess these sad reasons that prompt folks to make things better do have their perks. I would be lying if I said that charity work is a walk in the park, but.... I'd also be lying if I said we didnt have our moments of fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment