Saturday, December 26, 2009

Boxing Day

Who... besides me took their children to West Edmonton Mall to hit the boxing day sales?
Yikes!! What was I thinking? Typically for me, "Boxing Day" means box everything up and take it downstairs to the storage room. Once I recovered from THAT unnecessary and traumatic experience, down went my hot pink tree and all the ornaments - and OH there was the boxes of pink hair dye and bleach underneath it all.... waiting. It quickly transitioned from Xmas to Massacure - my focus for the next 7 weeks.
FRED is nice and pink (thank you Mandy), and my wheels are turning once again. How to raise a million dollars so close to the crunch?? It's not possible to tell whether we will reach a goal until months after the event, so I have decided to not set one this year. Of course my wish remains - 1,000,000.00. I will not ever feel satisfied and accomplished until this is achieved because I dreamt this and I know it will happen one day. With everything that brought us success in this event, I dreamt it - it came as a vision, saw it all before it materialized. True. When charities are suffering in this economy, it will be a difficult ask that we again surpass our total from last year (849,000). I can only pray we do.
I know this is random, but with Xmas barely over, I wanted to end this blog by including a memory that I felt appropriate to share at this time.
When Kali was diagnosed, it was September. This placed her in hospital for her scheduled monthly week of chemo, a few days shy of Christmas. She was released on the 22 and back in on the 23 in isolation with fever. This became the first incident of many consecutively hospitalized holidays (next was New Years, Easter, July 1st, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Remembrance day of 2001).
What we did not expect that would lift that that Santa would bring coming to 4E3- in a full sized sleigh (assembled right in the hospital). Every child and their sibling received a gift (which was wonderful considering that we were strapped for cash). Santa came to Kali that year (as she was isolated) and THAT prompted an idea which materialized 2 years later (which I will share at another time). Kali was released mid Christmas day (1 day early), just in time for Christmas dinner (with select healthy family members). A food hamper and a turkey was provided to us by the knights of Columbus, among various gifts and donations donated by our friends and neighbours. We learned what Christmas was really about that year. To this day, this has altered my personal perception of this particular holiday.



No comments:

Post a Comment