Monday, February 1, 2010

Volunteers

Sunday was our volunteer orientation at Mayfield Elementary. I am getting behind in my blog here so bear with me...
It was a little different this year than what I am accustomed to. Typically we have a packed house and utter chaos.... fun, but yes chaos! This year was controlled and quiet - not quite our style so next year I'm gonna have to stir up some action..... maybe bring a pole..... and a couple of waxy dancers.... oh and definitely the bear!! I made another crank call to 780-444-9467 (she was just a few feet away at the time) just to give myself a cheap thrill. This time I was a Russian lady who wanted to book a shave time for her legs.
Nadine and I developed a volunteer binder a few years ago to describe in full detail each position involved with the Massacure. This took a summer to create. Each year I update this manual, adding positions, tweeking and selecting appropriate captains to run these positions. I remind each position to be nice cause thats how we role.
Have I mentioned how awesome our captains are? All of our volunteers are awesome (well.. with the exception of 1 or 2 every year that make Tammy remember why she is disciplined in karate...). These captains are my peeps and I love em!
Today I gotta mention Kyrsti's peeps moms. Much like my McDonald's peeps, this group of ladies was gifted to me. Kyrsti's friends have grown up together since grade 1. Years ago the moms united, made our way into each others lives and we have all
have become good friends. Shauna, Melynda, Diana, Marina got roped in 2006 out of shear pity for Gord and I who were very short on manpower for our 2006 event. Don't think staying for the entire 24 hours (plus set up and tear down) was part of their plan. Back then we did a 2 day event. I still think about that and wonder how we did this for 3 years. They were right there with us, as well as a few very faithful volunteers that stayed, God bless 'em.
Nicki and her parents were of that pack, Roni, Pat, Ollie, Tina, Joelle, Nadine, Weazie, my mom (Colleen - Nana's peeps), Dusty (my adopted son) and our long time stylists Stacey, 2 Shaunas, Sam, Carrie, Mel, (and now Genevieve).
Our security is back again too (my karate click) - amazing! There are more, forgive me if I have let a great one slip my list. Brain is mush..
Back to the captains. How many times can I mention that they are amazing? Never enough. Some of them do a lot prior to, and I am so appreciative of this as I know that they know their area very well, and take pride in their involvement. It's like a piece of the Massacure belongs to them and that makes it a collective and community event.
Thank you to all of my captains, my peeps who hold the Massacure close to their hearts. Know how much your involvement is appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment