Tuesday, February 23, 2010

rejeuvenation

Have you ever felt so tired or so low that your hope / or plan of recovering from your slump seems unachievable? We have all been there. I myself visit this place a few times per year, but never during Massacure season as this is crunch time and it's prioritized. Not allowed to feel blue, get sick, exhausted or distracted. Nicki is the same.
Yesterday my daughter had to pick up my purse from Second Cup. The day before I ran a red light, and the day before that left my purse at Timmies. They now recognize my purse there, and I suppose most of the towns people do as well. My point being (not necessarily out the the norm for me) that my brain feels fuzzy and all I want to do now is sleep and I cant.
Nicki same position. The two of us want to cuddle in with the Kali Bear and wake up with the tulips and the sound of baby calves.
Reality is that there is a lot of urgent after stuff that does not allow for a proper break, so then what? Yesterday I had a lift.
I had a really interesting coffee with a fellow Cancer / Wish dad. I left feeling rejuvenated and it wasn't the coffee (which was soooooo yummmy btw). Dont tell Nicki....
My thought was that we would visit and he would entertain me with funny stories (which he did partly). What I did not expect was the gift of insight and sharing.
I was aware that his little guy had received a stem cell transplant, much different protocol than Kali's treatment. I learned this last year when the cutest little boy fell into my chair at LOXX (during a mass pinking day). It was here where his mom shared only a hiccup of his story.
His treatment was just over a year, his recovery remarkable - and so I assumed this might have been a milder course. I was wrong.
There did not appear to be any residual sign of trauma within the family as they are all so healthy and positive. I realized yesterday, this was not as a result of a magic happy herb, or happy hypnosis, or really good luck (certainly not that), but one thing - GRACE.
As this dad educated me about only a small portion of their story, I felt a strong admiration for him and his family, so much that I left feeling hooked and wanting to hear more.
Not once did I detect issues or negativity in his presentation. He spoke of issues and certain things that hurt, frustrated, disappointed and angered him (them) but did not reflect in his demeanour. He smiled and spoke ever so casually about their nightmare.
This was testimony to his personal strength, healing, and ability to accept and forgive.
He explained that while their little guy's life was dangling by a thread, their priest offered them this advice: "Ask for Grace and a Miracle. If it's meant to be, you will be granted the Miracle. Regardless of the outcome, continue to pray for Grace."
It was both that they received. Grace is evident in that family as they have prayed at the bedside of not just one, but all of their children at one time or other. This being all too familiar to me, I reflected back on my own 3 fighting for their lives and wished I asked from Grace back then. What I had was questions and confusion and much resentment for the raw deal that was handed to us. Only until Kali's battle (3rd child - third battle) that I developed the acceptance that all things happen for a reason and a learning. This family certainly one step ahead and very solid in their faith.
Ronald McDonald House has been home to them, so much that they are chosen speakers for the foundation. My dear friend Jaime Caza (from McDonald's) calls on this family for speaking opportunities, as I will in the future.
I sign off today with a sense of soul rejuvenation. I still want to go to sleep, (and I likely will on my way to my meeting)....but I feel blessed for yesterdays gift - a reminder about why.




No comments:

Post a Comment