Thursday, February 18, 2010

post Massacure

This morning Nicki and I rejuvenated over sinful things at Starbucks, then procrastinated before going to task on the storage room we have for our Massacure stuff at Make-A-Wish.
This is a yearly procedure, as we need to take inventory of what we have leftover that can be used next year. I think I escaped a broken nose a couple of times attempting to stack heavy old t-shirt boxes on top of each other (to the roof). Nicki most amused with my brush with a Massacure landslide, AND the trying to maintain a phone conversation..... sheesh! My daughter Meagan, most excited that she booked the reception hall for her wedding - jumping with excitement, made the call (while I had the phone to the cheek and a box to my face). It's all good, my chin kept everything from falling over. Good news is that we found a little box of stale Cookies By George AND Nicki didn't want any!!!
There is a massive list of urgent items that need to be dealt with immediately following the event, and when one is battling exhaustion, it's very difficult. Both of us just want to crawl into a cave like Kali Bear and sleep for then next 7 months. Data entry of all participants, groups, teams and schools is now being addressed by Nicki and our peeps at the Stollery, while thank yous, follow-up, website updates, emailing pictures, creating lists for debriefing, ect is mine (and hers...).
We will be jugging many items until mid April when Nicki leaves back to her spot on the Riverboat. Thats when I will be sucking up a lot to ensure she comes back in the fall. I plan on installing that chip in her arm (tracking devise) so she does not end up back in Europe.
Today at Make-A-Wish, while we made a huge mess cleaning up while 27,000 rolled in and was counted by MAW staff. Mo Duval showed up (a repeat Massacure enthusiast) raised 6,300 this go (at the bars with his pink nails and locks). This guy is hilarious! Last year, he collected over 10,000 in a can that was passed around. Crazy!
Next Wednesday will be a post drop at the office (hint hint for those of you with ourstanding $$) and I plan on being there, but am banned from counting money. My captains made this decision a few years ago while observing the fish out of water. Not my forte, so I'll stick to what I do best like distracting folks who are trying to count.
I remember the days when Gord and I had 300,000 spread out for a month in our basement. We would count every night, and on weekends bring in friends to help. This is when my inabilities were exposed. I thought as long as I was counting out loud and money was leaving my hands no one would see that I had counted the same pledge package 4 times, resulting in 4 different amounts. So then I was assigned to coin rolling. Please kill me - same thing, counting involved. Next was deciphering illegible printing (takes one to know one theory) and organizing packages according to groups. That I enjoyed because I could get a sense of each person and their efforts behind their package and eventually memorize, or recognize the names. Did that up until last year when Stollery got behind it. Now I memorize pictures.

My last task this evening was teaching 3 karate classes. I don't know how my Sensei (Steve) does this 4 days a week??? My body is absolutely spent and my voice is gone from projecting . Happens every time I teach more than one class. I would never admit to the students that I felt like mush - like the cat that gets injured and disappears behind a chair to lick it's wounds. I am afraid that I will get caught with my leg over my head in the change room licking the underside of my knees.
We have a great group there. Most of our security for the event is from our school - they are incredible! Thanks guys for exhausting yourselves at the Massacure!
With that, I am gonna finish my stale cookie and hobble off to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment