Tuesday, February 16, 2010

hair massacure 2010 (part 3) Proud Victims














I'm back.....
The girls and I have returned from a much needed 2 day escape to the Rockies. It was nice to have a quiet phone, and a chance to just unwind a bit. I did find it interesting that my 5 hours drive still lead us to pink heads from the event (in our hotel).
For the majority of my volunteers, the commitment rests here until next February. For our captains, a debriefing will follow, and for Nicki - her commitment will end mid April. For myself, this goes all year. The few days following the event IS the break until it slows down in the summer, but not entirely as I am pondering the idea of a dance, a Volunteer BBQ and / or maybe a chilli bake off.
The money will continue to roll in for the next 2 months, so I will be releasing an official total by May 1.
Now... for my continuation of part 3.... Proud Victims!
Please bear in mind - this is still only MY personal greeting of the many that flooded in that day (and I only met a portion of them as I was in 6 places at once at any given time).
Please, if you are reading this and wish to add your story or a comment - I would LOVE to hear from you to add to my personal knowledge of who attended that day).
From the thousands of pic I receive (and take) at the event, I have several months to study faces and meet with folks to enriches my knowledge of the Proud Victims that came to us.
Here is who I greeted (and photo'd) that day:
A baby - I think 8 months old came to shave!
A native family from Saskatchewan saw us on the news prior to and the boy was inspired so they left at 5 am and my daughter took his hair donation. Wow!
The Potato head Family! A family of 7 pinkees, oldest boy had a brain tumor and they are remarkable.
The Bennett family (3 times a charm!). Their little guy Benson (too cute for words) - pinked and shaved - a stem cell transplant success!! That's where our research is going folks! Great Fam!
The Maranos (whom I met at the RUSH game)
Neil M Ross School (lead by Brett Arlinghouse - he's on my van) I think close to the same amount. 53.000.00 was what I heard that day.
Leo Nickerson School (90+ kids shaving!), lead by Jarod Letendre for the 4th year!
Familar faces with these mentioned schools - 4th year of participating! Sturgeon Heights - Collette Hartmetz (the twin to Colleen Durand) leader of - G H Primeau. These 2 gals are NEAT!! Gotta love them!
Morinville Christian School (lead by my wonderful neighbor Suzanne Borque), and Vanier School (the beautiful Marlene Peltier) - all familiar kids in my neck of the woods. Its great to see these faces coming back to the event. Some of these children have returned to us year after year. I have no words to describe what an honour that is. Their leaders - also shaved!
Minor hockey teams!!! WOW!! I was at the entrance and watched in amazement as they folded into the event. 5 Teams in uniform - SUPER cool!!
A family came from Okotokes! How they heard about us is beyond me, but I am thrilled they felt we were worth the drive (much like the fam from Saskatchewan).
A head reporter from the Edmonton Sun came out. Link is http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2010/02/12/12861996.html
OH!!!! Marlese Richards - like Gord - THIS IS HER 8TH SHAVE!! She is the Telus Queen. Marlese brought her dog Spanky in 2006, as she and him had signed up as a team. Guess what stemmed from that? A Beamer (Stollery Therapy Dog) and then a F.R.E.D! We shaved Spanky that year, and his owner comes back and asks Kali to shave her. Those clippers get smaller and smaller in my daughters hands as the years go by, and her workmanship with the shave is cleaner and faster.
Speaking of Kali requests - Theodus is a boy who is without sight and returns year after asking for Kali. This year this young man was noticeably taller and older, much like Kali.
Paul Liimatainen is from Keephills at the Genesee plant. He came to personally get his bear, hat, toque and hug from Miss Kali. Last year he personally raised 20,000. His team (K3 For the Kids) raised 48,000. This year I am told it's going to be around 60,000. This will remain the single highest team yet.
The Research team came out too!! VERY COOL!! Dr. Basch heads up our lab and this is his second pinking (which I had the honor of) and 2nd shave. His entire team came out to the event (pinked up), they spoke a bit about where our money is going and then they each took a turn and shaved him. I'd like to see THAT kind of relationship in other labs with their donors.
Tory Bertrand - my little Global celebrity! Wrote my blog on Tory (a young survivor) a while back. She donated her hair and Su-Ling cut the first braid, I got the second and Kali got the third and Mel cleaned her up. Check out Health Matters - Feb 12 archives. Wow!
Speaking of wow... a young man came in with a sweet little mohawk. His girlfriend works for Carrie at LOXX (a participating salon) in St.Albert. Raised 12,000 and he too a brain cancer survivor. Had his surgery pics with him. I was awestruck.
Oh. close to my heart - my Karate School (Rooke) - Lead by our security Captain - Sensei Steve Rooke. They came out and supported the event again. did security and shaved. We are a big family much like my Massacure peeps - now we are all one!
Then there are my volunteers and captains that shaved again!!
Christie and Ginger - where do I start with these two? Not only exceptional people but crazier that I could ever describe. They both made such a fuss getting shaved down.... I told them I was busy and needed to be in several places at once so I leveraged time and did a two for one. SO my left hand is not as steady as the left? No reason to holler and squirm. Anyways the polysporin took care of things and the stitches should be out in time for Bald is Beautiful.
Tina... our merch captain. Shaved again - with her aunt. Striking woman, goes over and above - but also a nut case and a great lady with a fascinating story (much like the 2 crazy sisters). You can appreciate her on our home page with the peace sign.
Gina Macarthur - my multi peep. She is an eager beaver!! Convinced Dave Roulston (from CISN) to pink at the event and he did! Gina spent the rest of the day with pink hands.
Pat McMinn (780-444-9467) who takes registration for the past 3 years, this is the one I prank call cause I love her... She too posed again for Bald is Beautiful and looks marv pink (with a heart on and pink tips) and bald!
Wendy Griffith, and Nicki's parents (Dennis and Doll) all shaved again. First ones to show up - last ones to leave and always there to lend a hand. Remarkable people. Lucky to know them.
Then my 2 adopted sons,..... Dusty and Steven. Holding hands through their shaves. Cute!
Dusty also a survivor, volunteers for everything Massacure related, heart is HUGE and shaves every year. Steve, new to shaving, and will be marrying my daughter. I figure he is truly a keeper - a has a nice head (Bald is Beautiful subject). He will make nice grandchildren, quite suitable for shaving....
Julia and Jaime - our adorable volunteer kids. I want to squish them!! CUTE BALD!!!
Last, Gordon. His 8th shave! Sported a 3 part mohawk till the end then the girls shaved him down. Think his hair has already grown back.
Well folks, I will likely add to this particular blog, but it is late and I am completely fried. As I remember various folks, I will include. Thanks for reading. next blog - VIP's and such!






No comments:

Post a Comment