Friday, February 12, 2010

Hair massacure 2010 (part 1)

Hi folks, looks like an event of success!! Think I will break this up into several separate posts so as to do this some justice. If you were at our 2010 event, you would get more of this, as one needs to be there to experience it. Words and photos or clips will not do this justice to the feel and understanding of a "Massacure".
I have to admit, as exhausted as I feel (and I am not alone..... the rest of the fam, my captains, security, Chantelle, staff at our charities and a select few dedicated volunteers recognize this) - I am stoked!! I know that we will surpass last years totals (a consistent accomplishment). I think we will be close to a million!! It will take until the end of April to release the final total as the money continues to roll in over the next couple of months.
Before I lead into description - I would like to thank all of our wonderful captains & veteran volunteers / stylists (who come early, leave late and stay with us year long), our new and repeat volunteers, Steve and Michelle's security, supporting staff at the two foundations, our talented entertainment and photographers (especially my cousin Chantelle who drives 6 hours and shoots for 13), our sponsors (see website), schools, teams, and participants. Also... Gord (who wore a few hats that day), Megs (who rocked it out as our stylist and stylist coordinator, Kyrsti (our co-youth coordinator and entertainment), Mandy (my unsung hero and FRED pinker, and Miss Kali - our inspiration), my mom (nana), and will save the best for last (in terms of keeping Tammy / and event sane, organized and happy) - that's Nicki.
Now lets see..... where do I start?
The day started early for set up. Executive Royal Inn kindly put us up (including my cousin) so that we could chisel off 45 minutes off the early morning and leave with an easy start. 2 early mornings in a row with exhaustion already in place warranted extra Visine, Preparation H (for the eyes) and Starbucks caffeine (with a Dilly bar and chocolate covered pretzel on the side).
By 7:30 am, we arrived to the set up crew (thank you Glen), captains and half of the fam working in synergy - it was awesome and for ONCE I did not feel instant anxiety. From the night before to early morning the transformation at the mall was drastic. The Ice crew at WEM worked through the night covering the ice so to be ready for us by 5:00 am.
Security met us there and never left our sides until we drove out of the parkade at 9:00 pm.
People were already lining up at 8:00 am. After intros and speeches, the buzz WAS at the mall!
For the first time ever, the flow of Proud Victims in chairs was steady through to the end.
I believe it was the biggest turnout yet with literally thousands taking it all in. The lower and upper tier around the ice had a steady audience around it watching the cutting, entertainment (which was FANTASTIC) and the antics below.
From our perspective, it's hard to get our head around the transition from our first event in 2003 with 42 people to a full sized rink that seemed to shrink by the hour.
We also had a steady flow of media present throughout the day that had a surplus of striking footage and hits in any direction.
The photographers kept busy and moving quickly, in awe of what was being captured at any given moment. Even between Nicki, Kyrsti and myself running with big honkin lenses around our necks, I am sure we have at least 3,000 photos.
With our photographers, I think I will have close to 6,000 to sort through.
In the near future check out on my Facebook - Chantelle Turgeon (Memories for Life), Romy Yamsuan (romy young photography), Lynn McRitchie-Fields (Bin Photography), and of course Nicki (Wohland), and I will have our own!! In the next couple of weeks look for Claudine Lavoie for Bald is Beautiful shots. You will be wowed!
Apparently I am taking the weekend off....(say Nicki). Writing blogs and looking at event pics is not work, so I'll be back tomorrow.
Part 2 blog to follow.....



3 comments:

  1. We're taking the weekend off! We will let you know how things turned out on tuesday! Thanks for everyone and everything for the fabulous event! We love you all! xox nick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tammy,
    On behalf of all of us who are AMAZED at your energy, enthusiasm and courage, THANK YOU for making every one of US feel appreciated, needed and loved!

    Now FOLLOW NICKI'S ORDERS or we'll be forced to plan another KIDNAPPING!

    ReplyDelete