Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Loss that motivates

I'm gonna sidetrack today because I was inspired by another story today that motivated me to touch on this.... loss.
If you had opportunity to admire our "Love Wall" at the event, you would see various names on it of those that offered inspiration to our participants. Not off of them were a loss, but many were. This wall was the brain child of my dear friend Ginger (one of our amazing captains).
Last week I shared a story about my visit to our last school who was fundraising as Team Spencer. Last year Spencers friend raised 5,000 going door to door in Spencers name. These two boys (joined at the hip) were at the event last year and eagerly shared the story with Chris Sheetz as my photographer (Chantelle) and I snapped photos. Spencers parents were at our event this year again - GREAT people, STRONG people.
So was his little friend - this year 3,000 raised for Spencer. Incredible.....
Unprepared, I did not realize that Spencer passed away in December. Composure had to come quickly before my little speech to this ignited school last week.
Inspired by loss is my blog today. There are many stories inside of me but I will share 3.
I learned about a young boy at one of our repeat schools today that raised 5,000 for the event. His mom was his inspiration. You see, she was lucky to have made it past Christmas, and thank God because her son is incredible and she was able to bear witness to that. From her wheelchair at the event, "mom" was able to admire the result of a decision her son made to make a difference in her honour. There are more of these children that participate in honour of their parent.
When we think about cancer (relative to our event) we associate the young patient. What happens to the children that loose a parent to this terrible disease? My heart sinks thinking about this.
It seems every year there is a Massacure child out there that is experiencing this type of loss.
In Kali's class, an enthusiastic little boy repetitively participated with us and LOVED the pink hair. His mom was a kind soul who loved our event and story and was a strong supporter of it (that was before she became victim to cancer). I connected with her at Timmies one day, taken back that she was "trying" to eat there in her jammies. The IV (broviac) gave it away. From her grey complexion, I knew. She educated me on her condition and asked if it would be ok if I would offer some nutritional and supplemental advice to assist her. I happily agreed, but my eyes could not contain the tears. It took her quickly. I didn't know and waited for her call. Shortly thereafter, I asked this little boy how his mom was doing and his little head dropped. "She died". I had a lump in my throat that would not go down, so I just hugged him.
Another young family from Morinville lost the mom just a couple of months before the event in 08. I knew about these kids because I had heard about a new salon in Morinville that was pinking, so I phoned and asked to speak to the owner (Genevieve - GV's salon). I thanked her and asked if she had started pinking yet. She told me that a boy and girl (siblings) were in as we spoke. I decided to make the time and pop in to meet the kids. Normally my schedule would not allow me to do this, but this day I felt compelled to do so. This is where I learned their story from their Dad. The wound was so fresh, their strength admirable. The brother and sister sitting so proudly in their plastic caps as the pink took over the transition.
Another little guy from out of town was a huge inspiration to me. Lost his mom months before, Dad was not capable of any type of support system. Shortly after his loss, the boy had googled in search of an event where he could take over his mothers legacy and found us. He was the only one in his school to pink and shave, but they rallied around him and made him feel 10 feet tall. He had several little pink ponytails that were cut off one by one before the clippers finished the task. I keep one in my camera case to remind me of his story. You see, this boy takes care of dad. He makes the meals, does the laundry, cleans the house, reminds dad about the bills and walks him through the payment process, makes the shopping list and places the needed items in the cart as he pushes to the till. This boy was a chip off the old block. Mom was very involved in her community, and now he needed to be. He is my hero - at 9 years old.
ANybody that slights the power of a child is missing the boat. Well over 1/2 of our participants are children. I don't see a lot of them being dragged to the mall by their parents - they are leading them. Children are making a difference. Let's empower them.




No comments:

Post a Comment