Monday, November 30, 2009

Karate

I know you must be wondering how karate ties into the Massacure. It doesn't really, although I am proud to say that my karate school wholeheartedly supports this family run event.
Karate also kept us sane through Kali's chemo treatment and through the rough spots of our personal lives. I am a 2nd degree blackbelt and have been practising for 16 years. Close to testing for my 3rd a number of times, however timing was not cooperative. The entire family is involved - there are 4 blacks, 1 brown and Kali will turn green (mid point) on Saturday. I am feeling a little smug to say the least. This is what we do when we are not "saving the children", we are beating on them.... lol...
I say this with humor and only a fellow student will get this joke. It's referred to as "conditioning", an integral component of our style.
I am also proud to say that most of our security at the event are volunteers who also happen to be well trained karate students.
Back to Kali - as timid as she appears, I have to say I think this kid is gifted in this art, much like her sisters (Kyrsti - a 13 year old 2nd degree black, Meagan 2nd degree, and her Dad - 4th).
Is this too much?? Likely, but I don't boast often. I will take a humble pill before bed tonight, I promise.
For all of the years that Kali allowed (mostly by force) medical procedures that frightened and caused tremendous pain... she eventually learned to become complacent as she was too weak to fight. This concerned us. When treatment ended at age 4, karate began. This has helped her to assert herself again.
It pains me as I reflect on the children we have befriended that have gone through the emotional and physical suffering as my daughter has. They all need a boost after treatment.

This is why I have chosen to include acupuncture and karate in my blog. As I have mentioned before, this blog will include steps to a journey, not a lengthy list of everyday tasks. This event is our journey and ties in with past. present and future. In the end, it's relevant.


No comments:

Post a Comment