Wednesday, February 16, 2011

WE DID IT!!!

Friday was an amazing day. Nicki and I (along with the amazing set up crew) got to the mall at just before 5 am. A frenzy of tables and chairs and boxes signage and papers and a few tense moments and all of the sudden it was time to open the gates.

Music and dancing, magic and shaving were the order of the day. We had a few celebrities, and a LOT of regular people. What amazed me was how humble people were - when asked how much money they raised, most people shrugged and offered their number. When asked why they were shaving or donating their hair, they proudly told us their stories.

My first (and only) cry of the day came about 6 pm. A lovely woman came in with pink bangs and long blonde hair. She had come to donate her hair for a wig. She looked a bit nervous, so I went over to talk to her. As she sat down in the chair, she started to cry ever so slightly. We talked about how the wig would come back to someone in this community, and that seemed to help. I was overwhelmed by her story of not having a haircut in over 2 years, and how her plan to donate it started a year ago. Now that's dedication! I was also in awe of her cheering section - at least 20 people stood on the outside of the rink and cheered as the first locks were cut, and again when her head was shaved. Truly remarkable.

There is an amazing team of volunteers at this event. Captains who put in countless hours before, during, and after the event to make sure it all works out. Groups who volunteer together, and individuals who come just because it's the right thing to do. I won't go on about all the great support we have from sponsors and the like, because everyone who knows about events knows that sponsors are vital and ours are no different. Ooops, did I just go on?

Anyway, I wanted to share a little bit of what my impressions were from this, my first Hair Massacure. I was exhausted (as was everyone else) by the time we got the last boxes unloaded, and I don't remember too much of Saturday, but by Monday it was business as usual - and lots to do.

Thanks to everyone wh0 raised money, donated money, shaved, donated hair, or came to provide support to someone else. Thanks to everyone who helped in any other way - and there are lots of you. You made it a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment