Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Red Deer Massacure / Save On Massacure

This past weekend 3 events took place.
Saturday was our Red Deer Massacure held at Bower Mall, hosted by our friend Darcy Ouellet.
Nicki, Brandi, Tina, Aunty Donna, Kali and I braved slippery roads to witness our first mall event (that we had not directly organized).
Darcy did a fine job duplicating our efforts in his first year of "Massacuring" people, and it's seems that he will do this again next year.... (including his sporty Mohawk).
He will still not reveal the amount collected (so far), as he wishes to present a huge cheque to our event on Friday. Gotta love his spirit.
Miss Tina and Aunty Donna took orders for merch, SHAW TV and The Craze (radio) offered lengthy interviews, including my shy girl, Miss Kali.
My highlight of that day was the little girl (15 years old) who sat in chair trembling under her cape.
The huddle of stylists around her, making desperate efforts to console beckoned me to come over and talk with her.
It brought me back to my first year shaving when I was terrified.
I then recalled the first year Kali shaved and how griping that felt watching those pink locks hit the ground, Gord and I choking back tears... ok Gord choked back, I bawled like a baby live on tv.

My arm made its way around the girl and as I reminded her about "choice", I noticed how striking her features were.
We talked about it being "ok" to back out, and how this event was not about pressure and inflicted obligation. She stayed firm with her decision, she was just afraid... understandably.
She was quite agreeable when I asked her if I could shave her beautiful head, with my personal promise that she would look beautiful like the bald little girl in the picture I was holding (Kali's Bald is Beautiful shot). Her realization of who I was lead me to invite Miss Kali over - to display her long hair. It grows back, and with or without it - your'e still beautiful.

I have to say, in the many years I have shaved heads, this particular one I will hold close.
THIS is the guts of this event folks.... the life altering sacrifice for others.
I was right, she was stunning without her long hair. It was an honour for me to meet her.
I wished she was not so far away from our traditional Bald is Beautiful shoot (featured on our website). This shoot (with the right photographer) really captures the "why" of our event.

The ride home resulted in passing 22 cars in the ditch and 2 semis.
Onward to Save On Foods Elerslie for their manager shave.
Fighting event fatigue (and I speak for Brandi and Nicki), it was a bit of a struggle to pull it together, slap on a game face and hit another event. I was glad I did.
Kali and I arrived with enough time for lunch.
Not sure what happened but my coffee tasted a wee bit bummy.
Exchanged it for a tea that resembled the coffee and exchanged that for an odd tasting carbonated ice cream. Think there was an oops.
My panicked polite daughter practicing every measure of distraction she knows in hopes I will not approach the staff with "description" of my order.
Gave the kid and DQ staff a freebie and hightailed it over to Save On for their manager shave.
The energy in the store was crazy (fuel for this soul).
8 managers shaving (chests and legs included, almost an arm pit) and one very long hair donation.
Laughter penetrated the building as various types of hairs hit the floor - it was awesome.
My friend DM looks 10 younger with 12 inches off - this is common.

Tomorrow I will attend one more Save On shave that will entail dudes in pink dresses!
3 More day folks!!





No comments:

Post a Comment