Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hair Massacure 2011

Hi folks, thought after a week (post event), it was time to check in with yawl.
Before you read further, bear in mind - this is post event. My apologies if I have missed something, brain cells scrambling to recover, and my blog typically all over the place at best so.... here it is.

I see Brandi has survived after her first year and has enough brain capacity to count money, data entry, and blog.
I'll start with this... THANK YOU. I mean that with the most heartfelt sincerity.
It takes teamwork to put on an event of this nature, and an even bigger team to build it to a million.
The captains - phenomenal. They really understand this event and what its about.
Many of them there at 5:30 am for set up, and post 9 pm for tear down.
Nicki and Brandi scrambling to juggle 3 things at once, and our family wearing so many different hats, they could not keep up with the event.
2011 event was heightened in many areas.

Most media, most FUN, most chaos, most organization.
Consequently, this was also the year for most things going sideways. Not sure why,
but it felt like we were dealing with a full moon for a good 6 weeks.
New interest from Premiere Ed Stelmach, Edmonton Police dept, Spruce Grove Fire dept, Gord Bamford, Edmonton Eskimos and 7 Edmonton Oilers resulted in a media frenzy.
Our own event photographers (Romy Yamsuan and my cousin Chantelle Turgeon) had to fight their way through cameras lined up to capture all of the Oilers getting shaved.
Over 20 interviews, I started to sound like a tool with my rehearsed pitch, compelling the people to "come on down to the mall".
I was so fortunate to have Weazie with me all day as my trusty companion.
My meds and phone in her back pocket catering to my every whim and entertaining me the entire time. God love her, what would I do without the crazy uninhibited Weazie's, Mel's, and Christie's? Come to think of it, the majority of our team consists of crazies and I LOVE it!

FRED was a hot item again this year. Think he must have had over a thousand hands on him, Mandy bombarded with requests to pet him or have him pose for a photo.
There were moments, well most of the day where I felt like FRED.
There was no opportunity for thought.
I relied on instinct that day (which is dangerous for me) and surprisingly I did not embarrass myself too bad ....
....except for the moment with Bridget on Breakfast TV. Didn't see the mic pointed in my direction waiting for my response. Guess I was busy stuffing a long pink hair clip in the back of Weazies jeans (wanted her to have a tail). Good thing B knows me.
Umm.... and then there was the incident(s) with my hand making their way onto mens tummies.
Lost count of how many times THAT happened, but I did catch myself around the Premier while lost in conversation about our research lab. My inhibitions seem to be, well lets just say up to this point been fortunate its worked out.
Speaking of inhibitions....
Flat Christie sporting her "troll hair" always bring interest to the event - fit right in with some of the wacky hair that rolled in that day. Awesome!

Jaime did an outstanding job with her many hats that day, both as sponsor and volunteer coordinator. Kyrsti and Shauna organizing our youth volunteers.

Glen Peters and Steve Rooke saved us all with set up / tear down and security. HUGE job.
Thank you Glens Team, Rooke School of Karate and additional security!
Gord Mc'd the entire event after setting up, assisted with sound, then tore down.
Steven and Dennis (Nickis Dad) - set up, tear down and everything you can imagine in between.
Miss Tina and Aunty Donna - 17. 5 THOUSAND in sales for merchandise. Nice job ladies!
Marina and Mark Dell in charge of set up and pick up of food for our 300 + volunteers,
Dusty (D J Fish Productions) - 'Possibly the worlds Greatest DJ" rocked us in between acts,
and Lynn Fields came with massage therapists in tow to work on our tired backs in a secret room for captains.

Most complicated areas - Shaving area, registration (which overlaps to many other areas) and banking.

Mel and Meagan (and stylist captains) after set up, dedicated to the haircutting area looking for potential issues, hugging, flattering, high fiveing, damage controlling, shaving, hair donating, teaching, intervening, meet and greeting, posing .... busy day for those girls.

Registration area was the smoothest its even been thanks to the leadership of Melynda, and support of her captains Joelle and Anna. Flat Christie, Ginger, Pat, Olly and Diana manage the chaos with the aid of several outstanding team members.
Banking - thanks to our Roni (who brought ATB to us years ago) and Cathy from Make-A-Wish a refine system has been developed. 50 ATB volunteers helped us with our event this year!

I wont go into full detail about all of our 20 some areas, as this blog would take forever, BUT I will say that each area has been fine tuned down to an art and our captains were ON IT. Thinking back to years past - huge improvements every year.

Entertainment was awesome again.
Had small windows of opportunity to sit in bleachers for brief moments to admire the talent coming off the stage that Axe Music and Axe Music Productions kindly donated to us (along with sound). ALL entertainment donated their time as well, including the infamous Third Street Beat, Jonek, Bernard Quillala, Kent Wong, and Coaster 44 (Gords band).
Our school Dance Connection, and Visionary College wowed us with their students (including Miss Kyrsti) and my cousin Danita Lin who wowed us with her powerful voice. Speaking of being wowed, I discovered that day that my daughter could sing. Gave me goosebumps Kyrsti.

2 Cheque presentations: ATB Financial 15,000! Save On Foods 24,500!!
Darcy's Red Deer efforts collectively added up to 80,000!
McDonalds money - yet to be determined.

A number of cancer kids came out this year, including our little Miracle Taylor. Its great to see our kids out there to bear witness to the efforts made to supporting their conditions.
Many members of our charities came out, THAT was so nice to see their interest and support.

Now lets get to the REAL reason for this event. Fundraising.
Participants rolled in all day, HUGE money raised collectively and for some individually there were some that raised thousands. Incredible and commendable.
I know first hand what kind of commitment that takes to raise big bucks. My first shave was 3.5 grand. By the 4th shave, it was not possible for me to get the same kind of money as the first. It blows my mind to see return participants come back year after year, not to mention schools and Hockey teams.

My last point - Leo Nickerson - came in at second place at 42,000! THATS amazing after 5 years of continued support! GP Nickleson, repeat school - over 30,000! Wow!

First place school.... You'll have to tune into CISN for the announcement on Monday. :)

In the meantime, money still rolls in. We are not quite at the million yet. Think we'll hit it, we have to hit it! Make-A-Wish will accept money until end April to to towards 2011 event.
Its NOT TOO LATE for new sponsorships or donations. We'll happily take them!
Will keep you posted on our growing totals!

Currently at 935,000 with a few more schools yet to turn in money, and 2 more doing shaves in March / April.


















No comments:

Post a Comment