Monday, February 21, 2011

Bald is Beautiful 2011

This Saturday our wonderful and talented Claudine Lavoie hosted our private little Bald is Beautiful shoot in her in-home studio.
This was Claudine's 3rd shoot for Hair Massacure, all donated to us (much like our amazing events photographers - Romy Yamsuan and Chantelle Turgeon)

Claudine's ability to re-capture the moments of why people shave is the very reason she is chosen for this project. Her warmth and hospitality puts our subjects at ease and gives each of them opportunity to connect with each other prior to their shoot.
I feel this is vital in putting them back into the moment.

There is a particular look that is present when most participants (Proud Victims) shave. Its indescribable, but I know intrinsically from shaving 4 times myself (having a motivating reason to do so - Kali).
Our event photographers (when in the shave area) often capture this .... when were not goofing around. (I LOVE those shots too).

In Claudine's peaceful home, with a black and white background and opportunity for each to reflect, the shots are very rich.

Bald is Beautiful was created in 2006 (during the shave) where a suggestion and an afterthought prompted me to scramble to make it happen.
The subjects that I choose each year are random.
It literally happens as I walk around in the shave area or spot a bald head walking by, sometimes chosen beforehand (as I get a feeling about a person), or a suggestion from one of our peeps.

There are hundreds that will get missed who are absolutely stunning, or that have a heartwarming story (that would be reflected in their pictures). I feel for all of these beautiful people who really should be photographed, but we don't get to them due to the chaos of the event.
The shoot is also very small (I prefer it cozy), so unfortunately this does not offer opportunity for all to be invited. This is why is random.

Claudine thinks about her next shoot all year, working up her creativity to apply to a couple of select subjects.
This year, Morgan (our first creative subject) - a student from Eveline Charles Academy was chosen to wear a pink chiffon wrap that flowed glamourously with a fan placed to the side.
How Ironic that Morgan was threatened to be terminated by her employer if she went through with the shave and did not wear a wig to work.
I'll be sending her employer her photos once I receive them, along with a message expressing my disappointment.

Another family drove 4.5 hours one way to attend the shoot. Met this lovely girl in Red Deer (pervious blog) and I was quite moved when she fell to tears in the chair. She (Sabrina) was donating and shaving. She and her family left an impression, so I invited them as both her dad and brother also shaved. Very nice family. Had no idea how far they had to travel, but glad they did. During our visits , Nicki and I both discovered that we each knew them through mutual acquaintances.

My Sensei (Steve Rooke - who heads up our security team at the event) posed with his son Jorden as a means to honour Kim (wife and mom to them, friend to me) just diagnosed with Leukaemia (recent blog). Kim is now without hair. Its most unfortunate that a day pass was not possible for her to be present in the shoot with her 2 men. Now THAT would be a gripping photo. (Still praying for you Kim... )

Flat Christie (who's not in real life) was able to attend this year as last year she was unable.
The woman of a thousand faces, she's so very photogenic. Im looking forward to seeing reflective, humorous, and strangled (with myself behind the ends of her pink scarf). Christie's sister Ginger posed last year with her back exposed and a beautiful drawing down the torso.
Both of these sisters - stunning inside and out.

Jaime Caza (our McDonald's sponsor and volunteer coordinator) brought her son Tyler who sacrificed his hockey hair to shave. Prior to the event, attending pinking at RMH, a few moments of boredom fell upon me. I happened to have my peanut (mini clippers) with me, and felt compelled to get rid of half of his hair, leaving him with a mohawk. It was there when I envisioned his black and white.

Last but not least, my son in law Steven popped in for the last shoot.
I warned him that Claudine had something special in mind for him. His response was "anything", but no feathers.
Im looking forward to see our topless dark angel.
I wasnt sure what Claudine was seeing for Steven until she put it all together... Im thinking this may be one of my all time favourites.

In the meantime I have to be equally creative to make it up to him (until he sees his photo).


Thank you Claudine Lavoie for sharing your talent with us, and to our subjects - another thank you for sharing a reflection of your soul.











No comments:

Post a Comment