Thursday, February 3, 2011

Media Day

Wednesday was media day for myself and the girls.
Global, CISN and CTV. Was great to get it done at once as I find it extremely nerve wracking.
Being in front of a camera is not the issue for me, its adhering to a script of chosen questions (that I choose) in a period of 3 minutes. Throw 2 more kids into the equation, the challenge heightens.
Miss Kali - God love her, is as slow as a turtle. This girl struggled with our commercial for this very reason, she cannot speak fast. Ask her a question and I start biting my lip as I desperately want to intrude by speeding her along.
THIS particular day, she was amazing. Timely, precise and spoken from the heart.

Now Kyrsti- my little frenchi who converts english to french stumbles a bit, unless she has rehearsed in her head what the subject of the matter is.
We had exactly 3 minutes to talk with 6 questions.
Kyrsti's turn to talk resulted in a little love tap in the shin...
Now if youre a parent or a wife - tell me you've never done this.
Good thing my kids can read sign language, as I was able to get to the last question (#4 out of 6) and finish the interview.

The second challenge I have with media spots is whether my Preparation H will work under my eyes that day AND bad hair AND bloodshot eyes AND if I present well.
I usually dont sleep the night before as I am stressing about these points, particularly if I create a Tammyism right on camera.

I recall several years ago on Global (Kali was 3, sitting beside me, arm in sling with a collar bone break). Kyrsti was invited to stand behind me with a group of little cancer kids. I was sitting on a step during the interview with Mike Sobal, the viewer and tv prompter smack in front of us.
My wonderful Kyrsti sees herself in the viewer as I am attempting to share our story...

At age 5, she thinks this is kinda neat to have this nice "mirror" in front of her and begins to pose. It started with faces, leading to pulling my hair UP into a mohawk and a few sharp tugs on the ear. At one point I feel her elbow rest on the top of my head as her other hand is over both of my eyes.
Against better judgement my eye wanders to check out what's going down.... this is all live.
Think you know the rest...
Good part was that it turned really funny.

Thankfully these 3 media spots resulted in success.

Still looking for a replacement for Preparation H...




No comments:

Post a Comment