Sunday, February 20, 2011

Trip to Banff

For the past few years, the girls and I have planned an immediate trip to Banff, day after HM for some R & R.

The concept sounds great at the time, but I think after a few rounds of failed attempts in my desperate search for that R & R, I would learn that its not the best idea.

6 weeks of no rest leading up to our hectic event and I decide to drive 6 long hours the following morning to an overpriced location of party animals and tourists.

Before discovering my spiritual connection (and addiction) to the ocean, I have always associated "spirit rejuvenation" with the rockies.
For years during and after Kalis treatment, I would take day trips by myself to Banff, climb a mountain and drive home - exhausted but balanced. On Kali's "good" days this was opportunity for me to collect my thoughts and feelings.
I made a few of those trips and it really helped.

It is still my belief that this will rebalance me if I drive out there and take in the magnificence of the mountains. I think its the element of how insignificant I feel in their presence that really does it for me.

This particular trip did not balance me (the last 2 previous did not balance me either).
Had to wear double toques to keep the snakes in my hair at bay.

Our traditional HM celebration at Chillies in Banff ended abruptly when my new IPhone was stollen right off of our table.
I was choked at how expensive THAT dinner was going to be, but paled in comparison to how violated I felt.
I could not call or text my Massacure peeps to say thank you.
I worried that media would call for updates or maybe a potential BIG sponsor would try to reach me as they had just seen the event.
All of my new pics and videos of Kali Bears on the walls at McDonalds, pinking photos, new contacts....my life was in my phone and it was gone.

In disbelief, we left. Braved a snowstorm and made our way to our hotel.
Every muscle in my body had ceased up from the event, the outdoor hot tubs were beckoning me.
The wild partying and drinking changed our plans to soak and relax our achy bodies.
Kali's legs were aching at the event (a side effect from treatment) - she needed this soak as much as I did. Hotel offered no assistance.
In the morning, Billboard (HM Van) was dead. Had my first meltdown while waiting for a boost.
Back brakes picked up rocks between Banff and Jasper resulting in a trip to the mechanic at 8 am the next morning. We hadn't slept anyways in our noisy musty hotel room.
On the way home I left my purse at Shell in Edson.

The kids rarely see me cry. 4 times that trip. I was embarrassed that I had broken down in front of them while we were "supposed" to be rejoicing instead.

So why am I sharing this?
This is my blog - about a family run event... the highs and lows.
On Feb 11 - Our high was our 9th annual Hair Massacure, and all of the good stuff that came to it.
Feb 12 - 15 - low.

I struggled with why I felt like I was being punished after doing Gods work.
Why were we chosen for the dark cloud of bad luck to find us while we were celebrating the successes of our efforts of something positive?

My dear friend (Mel) later shared that things get stirred up to teach us something and perhaps if we are still for long enough we can decipher the message that is coming to us.

My reply to her was: You and I have both ADHD. How are we to be still?
I went to Banff to be still and see what happened?

When I think about that, I realize that I could never go to the mountains to be still.
Nor do I go to the ocean to be still. We are climbing all over stuff, driving all over Gods green earth to investigate every possible corner that can be captured on film and in memory.
Theres no still.

Interestingly, another observation from a good friend (Darcy) who pointed out to me that there is no middle ground in our lives amounts the the highs and lows
As he shared his theory about our exposure to extreme Yin or Yang, it made me realize why I (we) suffer exhaustion.

Our exposures overall seem to involve meeting amazing people, hearing amazing stories, collectively accomplishing amazing feats, laughing till our guts hurt.... then theres the other side.
"Uneventful" almost seems foreign - post Kali years.

On the up side - what I will leave for last is the great things in Banff (that were clouded at the time) - like the deer we came across that wanted to eat the Kali Bear (from Kali), the mechanic that donated the services to fix the van (because she recognized us), my new fun preoccupation with searching for opportunity to implement a pink bear into interesting photos (even if it means crossing a gorge to do so), rolling in the snow in our bikinis, the delicious meal and great service at Chilis, and the 2 hour walk in the canyon (that I promised Mandy would only be a few minutes causing her to make yellow snow on a trail), big horn sheep, ice wine chocolates, and a tour of haunted Banff Springs hotel. Oh... and I had a nice break from my newly recognized addiction - my Iphone. Lesson learned.

The scenery of the rockies was outstanding and once again we came home with 400 photos.
Meagan left a beautiful bouquet of roses and chocolates, Gord left chocolates upon our return and the morons (dogs) ecstatic to see us.

The warmth of our peeps to welcome us home melted away the cloud in Banff.

Our life - Yin or Yang.


















No comments:

Post a Comment