Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week 3 / Miss Gina

I am relieved to say (as I knock wood) that the week from H E double hockey sticks is over.

Tonight - in discussion about this nuts week (and the full moon) I discovered that January 18 is the most depressing day of the year (that is for anyone who would not have a legitimate reason to be depressed on this day). Ok, makes perfect sense.

I literally contacted our registration captain Pat (who's lovely AND amazing at her job) and asked her if I could register a time to cut my head off.
I wanted to know if I could still get a toque for my head and if I could donate the head (not that anyone in their right mind would want mine), then asked if I could register a time with a friend (Nicki) - cause she's ready to cut her head off too.

Pat is quite used to my crank calls, but this one was for real, and it came from MY phone - undisguised.

Its been that kind of week.

My "Full moon post" explained Monday and Tuesday. Brandi said it would get better on Wednesday and it.
Our commercial shooting went well, however planning was still chaotic through till Friday.

Friday we (Nicki, Brandi and I) met at WEM to sign contract and go through the entire Ice Palace. We ate lunch at Timmies over top the Ice Palace and planned some more.
Nicki told a story about her mom almost leaving the house wearing 2 different shoes.... I felt it was wise to just shut up. How would I have known that I would do that again today?

A lengthy Executive meeting at Make-A-Wish finished off the day. Its gruelling, but necessary and a good thing I like everyone. Its a great group that consists of us 3 gals, senior members of the charities, Gord and Jaime (rep for Ronald McDonald House). Typically before these monthly meetings, I eat poorly and expose myself to available viruses in hopes of a legit excuse to reschedule. Im never successful.

There are always many issues to resolve (which I why I hate meetings of this nature). More often than not, we collectively find solutions BUT its still yucky going through the tedious process.
At the end... relief.

Today I was simply unmotivated to do any work. We ditched house cleaning and enjoyed a farewell coffee with Miss Gina (Gina Macarthur).

I met Gina 4 years ago when she took over the new editorial position at our local paper.
I called her up, referred to her as "the new girl" and suggested she come to my house for tea as we were going to be working together so we aught to get to know each other first.

She heard we ran a charitable event and likely rolled her eyes on the phone with me, BUT she humored me and came out to the house. What a good sport.
WE just got FRED and Gina not only fell in love with him, but our story, the event and my girls... and I think me too. It was reciprocated. Her articles about HM were outstanding.

I was very sad when she left her position for a Spruce Grove opportunity ...
ironically the switch lead to me hiring Brandi. (Brandi was a co-worker of Gina and came highly recommended. After several applicants - Brandi was chosen. I trusted my gut, I trusted Gina).

in 2008 Gina joined Rooke Karate School (our school).
During tests I got to hit Gina and make her wince - it was fantastic. Her bruises were my trophies.
Gina was the funny Newfie in the class and livened things up - soon had a following.
She always supported the Massacure (with her son Ian) and last year was involved as a co-captain helping out in the planning process.
She fit right in (considering the personalities of our group) offering great ideas and her crazy sense of humour.
I invited Gina to pose in Bald is Beautiful for 2 years running. This is featured on our 2011 video (with her son in the black and whites) AND in the funny pics as her crazy self.

In 09 Gina tried to convince me to write a book with her.
With her strengths with the English language and my memories, we would partner up.
We attempted a couple of writing sessions (her note book on hand) at Timmies.
I wasnt emotionally ready to spill AND usually too felt too scattered or exhausted to organize a thought.
On a good day with me (prior to Ritalin) I cant imagine retrieving single organized memories and thoughts - I've always had 10 going on at any given time.

Gina announced last summer that she was likely moving back home to Newfoundland.
She and I both knew that this book was never going to happen (unless she followed me around 24 - 7 picking my brain for memories). This became the catalyst for my blog.

On November 1st last year - Nickis first day - I wrote my first blog with her in Second Cup. Nicki walked me through it. I was ready.

I believe one day I will select these entries, organize them (well... with help) and create a book.
I will think of Gina.

My friend flew back home today (after a well deserved trip won through our largest Sponsor CISN Country). I (we) will miss her more than she realizes.

Miss Gina, thank you for everything. I love ya, and for the record ...I really did enjoy hitting you.




5 comments:

  1. ...and believe it or not, I enjoyed being hit by you! Maybe because I knew the blows were delivered with love and you would never intentionally hurt me... Well, not seriously anyway. Anyway, you give me way too much credit... You're the one who inspires me! The Hair Massacure gave me so much more than I gave to it. It will forever be a part of who I am. Maybe I'll be able to come along on this crazy ride again next year. Keep your fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed you Saturday Gina, but probably not as sorry as you to have missed your connecting flight... I have big shoes to fill making up for your absence this year but I will try.

    Miss your crazy laugh and Marble Slab ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi - anytime you want some Marble Slab - I'll fill Gina's shoes!

    Marble Slab date (we can take a photo and photoshop Gina into the photo)!

    Tam - Don't fast that day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love ya too Nikki! But if you're going to Marble Slab you better skip the photoshopping and find a way to ship me some ICE CREAM!

    ReplyDelete