Saturday, October 23, 2010

Women's Day Out

Today I was invited to speak at a "Womans Day Out" convention in St. Albert.
Bridget Ryan and I were the chosen guest speakers. Regretfully I did not have opportunity to hear B, but Im sure it was insightful and most entertaining.
Typically the way I role with these kind of things is to focus on my shpeal just prior to, and then shoot from the hip while its fresh in my mind.
I warn my audience of my challenges with bouncing around and politely ask them to try to keep up. It usually works out for me. If I create confusion, I know I can rely on humor in a pinch to get me back.
My 4 wonderful daughters asked to come to support me.
My initial thoughts were that they were coming to bail me in the event I were to share a certain "roadkill for supper" story or go off track so far that I could never recover.
Well... I DID share the story about feeding roadkill to my in-laws, and I did say dumb and a few times, shmuck once, but refrained from the word pooh (or anything worse) and the best part is that Meagan and Kali didnt shrink in their seats.
Overall I stayed on track, kinda... and I think I was able to get my point through. That point was through telling my "story", I was able to prompt reflection about self reflection, self empowerment and appreciation for life. Profound for a girl that says pooh.
I recall the days when I was trying so hard for my brownbelt (this was 15 years ago). My Sensei said to me that I had all of the moves nailed - it was my confidence that lacked. Attitude is everything. Back in the day I was very shy, not a candidate to be at the front of any audience.
I desperately wanted to teach class, so I made an "on the spot" decision to change.

Who would have thought where that moment would have taken me.

Several years of teaching karate, projecting my voice, looking at the people ...... I still trip up over myself. Ha!
So thats what I'll leave you with today.... standing in front of groups, whether it be teaching, training, or speaking - I can always rely on this.... a warped sense of humor, creativity, and prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment