Sunday, March 7, 2010

event fatigue.

This post is about event fatigue. With most major events, this is not uncommon to suffer post event exhaustion. I can see that Nicki too is experiencing this, last year it was Tyler and the year prior was Nadine.
Speaking for my own experience, its been 5 years of "not right in the head" for a good 2-5 months after. This year it starts earlier.
Not going to throw myself back into the thumb sucking fetal position begging for someone to slip me a free McDonald's coffee, or a roll up the rim.... BUT I want to.
To offer some clarity, an event of this nature with this level of complexity, thousands of people and a very high emotion factor will be the perfect breeding ground for a melt down. Goo goo ga ga....
I have received several congratulatory remarks followed by "are you finally resting now?", or "finally you guys can relax!", or "now what will you do with your time?".
Normally the way this rolls is that we may take 1-2 days off (actually this was the first year THAT happened) before we hit it hard with post event responsibilities.
For the last 4 years, there has been an event or headshave immediately following the Massacure leaving no opportunity for a days rest.
This year I pre-booked a get away with my girls that would commit me to taking 3 days off.
(didnt quite work out as I intended as I got started early on follow up in our hotel room anyway..... that was my decision). Its hard to work at such momentum with
no weekends or evenings off, and then abruptly stop for a few days to unwind. I think the hamster wheel takes a bit before it stops.
It has been over a week since my last blog. My ability to write or comprehend has gone to the dogs, but thankfully a well needed acupuncture treatment on Thursday was just what this chic needed to regain some juice to keep up with Nicki.
The next steps are updating the website (and THAT mess is going to be fun...), sorting through and editing thousands of pics and choosing for promotion (Nicki and I will enjoy THIS task), website and 2010 video, a continuation of a long list of thank yous, implementing debrief comments (advice) from captains, sponsors, and our 2 foundations, and setting select commitments in place for next year. It's overwhelming just to write it down....
I'm thinking in my next life (if I do this again), I will keep it simple and not fill my plate with 4 girls, 3 dogs, karate, dance, school, and Iridology. But than again.... what would be the point?







No comments:

Post a Comment