Saturday, March 20, 2010

Colleen (nana) - Happy Birthday

Todays post I dedicate to my mom (aka Nana..... or Colleen). Its her birthday and I might add that she looks pretty darn good for her age.
I grew up as a single child under the care of a hard working, struggling single mom. We didn't always agree on everything (and still don't) but one thing that I attribute my work ethic to is her (and in all fairness, my dad as well).
My mom had a high position with the department of motor vehicles. It was her responsibility to set up various offices across Northern Alberta (Red Deer and up) and train the managers (and their employees) to the current system. Lets just she she has a knack for structure, organization and delegation. I do not have that gene, so I struggle with all of those things - but it is her examples that gave me something to strive for.
My mom was our volunteer coordinator in 08 and might I say she did an outstanding job considering I threw the position onto her lap at a moments notice.
She has this knack of seeing a person's weaknesses and strengths in no time and was able to determine which person was suitable for any of the many positions available at the event regardless of their level of interest. They all grew to love her and called her "Nana".
Again - the family run event is truly that. Her are all about hugs, laughs and tears (maybe more so Nana than myself ...lol).
I'll tell you something else, she's a very good sport considering all of the pranks I have played on her over the years. Everything from goldfish in her ice cubes, eggs in her shoes, ex-lax in her coffee, rubber snakes (her phobia), pretend bees, electric fences, ditching her in the dark, salt in the coffee at prestigious functions, ode de kitty (that one's too gross to tell... but it funny), buzzards on her lawn, and the evil wedding dress plot... gosh the list goes on BUT she never held a gruidge and she always cracked a smile (eventually).
Always with poise, I could have learned a lot from her growing up but I was too much of a tom boy to care. I also admired her fiery spirit. She never took (something that rhymes with fit) from anyone and raised me with the same attitude (although this did not kick in until I was in my last 30's..). She set boundaries and goals and was never wishy washy about anything.
The libra in me that focuses on balancing everything struggles with waffling as my tendency is to be a bit of a pushover and an over thinker. Good thing I have gentle reminders that continually strive to keep me in check. One of those reminders is my mother.
Never gave up - ever, endless determination that thankfully did rub off, I am thankful for that.
So with that I will end this post with a tribute to Colleen.

No comments:

Post a Comment