Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beamer's legacy











Todays post is about Beamer.
Beamer is the reason I have a F.R.E.D (Family Run Event Dog).
Neil Dowel is the proud owner of Beamer - a large white standard poodle.

I have never grown tired of the hospital stories with Beamer, any story in fact.

This exceptional pair have visited the 4th floor (Peds) at least every Tuesday at the Stollery, focusing primarily on the Peds Oncology Unit for the past 10 years.

This is where we met them and fell in love with a poodle.

Admittedly I am a labrador kinda girl, born and raised with.
Poodles were not a worthy consideration to me.
Ive always assumed poodles to be "prissy", snobby, temperamental odd looking companions for the elite, not our style.... till we met Beamer.

Beamer's first visit to Kali was early 2001 in 4E3 (Oncology) during our week long stay for chemo.

Weird as it seemed, upon introduction my impulse was to reach out and pet this "dog", not sure why.
His owner seemed nice, and I was so impressed that he brought his puffy dog out to visit the kids that I engaged in a lengthy and most pleasant conversation.

I became educated on the breed and my opinion changed.
As I listened intently, my hand found it's way around the dog and to my surprise I was hugging a poodle. I was hooked.

Over the last 10 years I have had the pleasure and privilege of getting to know the family.
For over 11 years Neil Dowel has taken every Tuesday off to drive for an hour each way to visit one of the most difficult places to visit - 4E3 the peds Oncology ward.

I have heard many touching stories over the years through my frequent lunch visits and phone conversations.
From my understanding, the nurses knew who to call when a child needed a boost (incentive) or a last visit.
Beamer just knew what to do (and when I say that, I am referring to a knowing that cannot be taught).
Neil showed Beamer the cue to "cuddle" when he sensed a child needed something.
That was what I refer to as a "cat swipe" where you would assume that the dog is diving for the crotch, by really they are just rolling against you - hence "cuddle". FRED does this too.

Sometimes Beams jumped on the child's bed and snuggled in, offered a peak at his pretty toes, or demonstrated his "hospital speak" which was well trained silent bark.
Whatever his cue or impulse told him to do, it was always the right thing for the child.

I have been privy to stories involving Beamer offering comfort to the dying child. How he inherently knew to rest his head on the child during their last breaths is evidence of how
special he is.

I can't imagine how difficult this was for Neil to be directly involved in so many young deaths, or horrific procedures that required some necessary comfort and serious distraction.

This man I admire for so many reasons, primarily his strength and positive attitude.

This dog, I swear is human. So exceptional and known for his intelligence and intuition - the stories never cease to amaze me.

I did rounds (on the invitation of Neil) with Beamer (and his canine brother Murphy) at the Stollery last fall.
I didn't last long as there are now too many triggers for me, however what I observed was totally worth the flashes of unwanted memories.
These dogs really lift those kids (as I remember when beamer lifted us), even the nurses look forward to their visits.

A fatigued mom broke down when we were there. She had been there for weeks, her son crippled by his condition lit up when he saw Beamer and Murphy.
She said that the spirit was so low in the family, she could not recall the last time they had smiled, particularly her son.
The boy asked for help so he could reach down to rub a sprawled out Murphy showing his fat belly. Meanwhile Beamer nestled right in.

During our rounds I marvelled at an incident where Beamer had a bit of an upset tummy.
He discretely nudged Neil for assistance and slipped off during a visit in the school to quietly throw up into a garbage can in an adjoining room.
No person knew, but Neil and myself.
After the visit, he had earned his cookie and knew exactly where to find it (downstairs at volunteer services, in his cupboard).
Beamer knew the hospital like the back of his paw.

Elexis, a remarkable young survivor told me during a visit that she is alive today because of Beamer.
She has had a few close calls in her journey recalls this one day in 4E when she was simply done. She was tired and ready to slip away. Beamer was called in.
The visit with him reminded her of how much she loved dogs and missed her own so very much at home.
The interaction gave her enough of a boost.
She fought, she lived.

In 2007 I invited Beamer to attend the Massacure, suggested to his sister (Nicole, a teacher at a participating school) that maybe he might wish to be pink. She and Neil obliged.

They developed an ingenious and safe pinking process for him - diluted food colouring in a spray bottle. This idea was shared with us for FRED.

It was magnificent. I told no one except the media. It was to be a surprise that Beamer would be the opening shave with Kali, Gord, and another survivor Nathan (from Gibbons school).

During the announcement for the opening shave, I halted while fighting my way though the media and the crowds to cue Beamer to come. He bounced onto the stage (from his hiding place) like a big pink sheep, camera men awaiting the moment.
The surprise was as anticipated - a HUGE success, the crown in awe!

As my oldest daughter (Meagan) was shaving our youngest (Kali), Beamer was also being shaved by Neil.
Kali, with clippers in hand was shaving one side of Beamer as her locks fell with his.
Neil and our young friend Elixis took care of the other side.
This made front page of various papers and television.

If this wasn't emotional enough, at the exact moment that Beamer was loosing his pink wooly coat, his mom (Neils wife) was in surgery.
2 guesses what she had......

It was an extremely nobel gesture on her part to request that her husband be at our Massacure rather than waiting in a waiting room for his wife.

Exceptional people.

THIS response to a pink poodle was in fact the very reason I found a F.R.E.D.

Beamer now retired, (as of this January) has good apprentices - FRED and Murphy.
Its my thought that maybe one day, if I effectively manage my triggers I may entertain the idea of therapy with FRED.

I'll find a finishing school for him and therapy for me and perhaps one day we'll be spotted on the 4th floor of the hospital (Stollery).

Freddy is not insightful like Beams nor as gallant, but that belch program he has enlisted could makes him an interesting candidate for a therapy dog (IF its true about humor being medicine). Regardless, there will be no replacement for Beamer.

We have spent time over the years with Beamer and Murphy.
Fred, every so often goes over for a play visit and is allowed to be a poodle in poodle environment.
Last summer we had a few days at the lake with Neil and the dogs. Knowing how much Beams loves the ball, it was evident that he was slowing down, allowing the "brother" to fetch in his place. We all kind of wondered if this summer would be the last.

On Wednesday March 3, just minutes after, I received the call from a heartbroken Neil.

I knew that Beamer had developed the very disease that he was comforting children from.
He had cancer.
Beamers condition managed until it was no longer possible.

How ironic that Murphy would snuggle in and rest his head onto Beamer during his lasts breaths.
As my friend Andrea (owner of the late Palliden - our 3rd pink HM poodle) so delicately stated-

"Sleep well Big Dog, you deserve it".

Beamer (November 3, 1998 - March 3, 2011)




No comments:

Post a Comment