Tuesday, December 27, 2011

When Kailey got her wish!

I would love to share for you my families experience with our daughter being a recipient with Make-A-Wish.

I want to tell you specifically about the day she received the news that she would be getting to make a wish.

My daughter has had to fight for her life, literally since the moment she was born.....12 years ago.

When we first were told of Kailey being selected we were overwhelmed with many emotions. Grateful, Joy but to be honest it was a little sad too. To have your child selected it means they suffer with a "life threatening illness". The reality of this, to be blunt is that if Kailey gets sick or any cold, and it enters her lungs or even if she was to take a sip of a glass of water, we could lose our daughter.

This is something that as a parent of a child in this predicament, you avoid acknowledging. We strive to make Kailey's life as normal as possible and enjoy every healthy breath and once in a while it settles in just how scared you are. For me, her being selected was one of those moments. We knew Kailey was going to be presented with this moment a couple weeks before, so it was a good "processing time". When you have a sick child you are often riddled with guilt, what if's and wish I would of or wish I could just moments. I had time to "process" my crap and decide to take in the joy that this wish was going to mean.

So off to the Make-A-Wish building in the west end of Edmonton with a bunch of the people that could make it that morning and that have been a part and watched Kailey through many battles. Dad, Me, Gramma (my mom), Auntie Christie and Kailey's long time aide Teresa. I knew Marta, (at the time she worked with MAW) and Tammy was our volunteer wish granter. We piled into the office and I am sure Kailey had no clue what was going on. Marta then begins to tell Kailey what MAW is about and delivers the news "Kailey, you have been nominated by your incredible doctor (our beloved angel Dr.McGonigle) to make a wish.

I look at my beautiful daughters face and in that second remember how many times we watched this precious face in sheer pain, held her down for needles and procedures and locked our eyes and hearts on the medical monitors begging God to PLEASE let her stay with me. Instead this time I see absolute JOY. I am thinking about how amazing this child is, thank God for her stubborn nature.

Kailey looks confused, excited and just in awe. We take a minute to clarify, "Kailey, YOU are getting to wish for anything or to meet anyone you want!" She bursts into laughter...it takes her little time to say "I WISH TO MEET JOE JONAS!!!!" I was not surprised! Marta explains that she has to make 3 wishes just in case they can't facilitate one..she looks astounded..."I WISH TO SWIM WITH DOLPHIN's" and "MEET ZAC EFRON"!! As we all cry and enjoy this the happiness my daughter is feeling I realize that she has already begun to change because of this wish and she has not even known for one hour yet! I see confidence bursting from her smile like I have never seen before.

As we walk to the car, I look at her face deep in thought and I ask this little miracle what she is thinking and this 9 year old child says to me something that I will never forget and she has no idea how profound the statement is. But with this statement it exactly describes the reason wishes for children in her position are so vital as we all know the child with spirt and joy has the energy to continue to fight.


Kailey says to me " This is the first time in my life that I have actually been given something because of my disability and not had something taken away". This is so accurate.

This is why I am so passionate about this organization. I saw my daughter change that day and we now have this wonderful memory to focus on when she is having a bad day or is not well. That's a gift I do not know how to ever say enough thanks for.


No comments:

Post a Comment