Thursday, December 8, 2011

A helpful volunteer

You know, sometimes I wonder what makes a person volunteer. I mean, we're all busy right? Why on earth would we want to give up what precious little time we have, and what's more - not get paid for it?

OK before you start rolling your eyes THIS IS NOT A REQUEST FOR VOLUNTEERS (though that will come in January...).

I'm actually pondering this because across my desk earlier this week came a volunteer application from the spouse of a long-time supporter of HM. The application said she'd like to help pre-and post-event. She's apparently got great admin and organizational skills (which means I already like her and we haven't even met yet). In essence, this amazing woman is saying "What can I do to help you?" just like that. No strings attached - because there are no perks to volunteering in the office. No dilly bars, no chance encounters with celebrities, and not even any pink hair... yet. So, it got me to thinking about how small acts of kindness can make such a difference to another person.

Of course, at this time of year lots of people are thinking they should do more, be more appreciative, and show others compassion. But you know, I get the impression she's just that kind of person and it has nothing to do with the "season".

I've worked with a lot of volunteers in my lifetime. Some do it for the perks. Some do it because it's the "cool" thing to do at a high-profile event. Some do it to get credit at school. Some do it because their companies pay them to volunteer. Some do it so they can teach their children the value of giving to others. Many have come to the realization that sometimes their time really is more valuable to someone than just their money.

So, I am very much looking forward to meeting Sherry this afternoon. I am already grateful for her generous offer of time and an extra pair of hands. I just hope she can count... we'll be doing LOTS of that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment