Friday, October 28, 2011

The cat

For those of you who dont know, my oldest daughter (Meagan) recently married and I am the luckiest mother-in-law out there. Steven is the bees knees (even though he's an American, but as Kyrsti said - we can work around that.. :)
This past week my kids went on a well deserved honeymoon to Maui. (I say well deserved as they are both gems, and its hard pressed to find finer young people who just give and give).
Anyhoo, as they disappeared into the land of bliss, we took Meagan's cat (Sassy) - the other love of her life.
I am a happily retired cat owner. My last cat took me out of the game, and now Mel has her (blessings to Mel for rescuing me), but I love miss Sassy even though she looks grumpy and bites noses. Looking after this cat is quite the endeavour. If I loose her, Megs will KILL me. If the dogs stress her, not good - so we are very cautious when she is in our care.
Yesterday was their return day so I wanted Sassy to be back at home to greet Megs on her arrival. I planned extra early to collect Sassy, litter box and things so as not to be late for my lunch meeting.
As I am carefully loading yucky litterbox into my vehicle, I see Sassy on the driveway. Heart in throat, I proceed to gently call her " oh sassy".... Im sure she felt my pulse racing. Of course she would bolt (that what cats do...)
I followed her to the park, praying and keeping calm so I can sneak up and pounce on her.
Ever so close... she waits until Im just grazing the top of her back and she bolts again. This time there is no "oh sassy" business ... %#@*&% CAT
Run home uttering vocabulary highly unsuitable for my neighbourhood, jump in the car, 2 wheels around the corner - I find her halfway to the next park.
Like a cheetah stalking a baby gazelle, I tippy-toe to the mound of fur hiding in the grass and I pounce. Success!
Now how does one deal with an angry Edward scissorhands - loading THAT into a vehicle successfully without loosing their eyes? And whats the deal with these claws - I KNOW Mandy just trimmed those down. My carefully laid out plan is to throw her in like a frisbee and let go very quick as I shut the door. Like throwing a velcro ball, cats tend to stick onto the area they land on, so the head rest it is then.
Im feeling pretty smug. Megs doesnt have to know about this and Im sure my friend will forgive me for being late for lunch.
Return home, carefully slip out of vehicle, pop back in to get my purse and meow. Miss Sassy in the house already to go.
I have someones else's cat.

SO I get rid of cat #1 to make room for cat # 2, who spiderwebs as Im loading her (likely the smell of cat # 1 set her off).
I proceed to drive off and become distracted by the scritching noise in the back.
I slam on the brakes - thump. Sassy falls off headrest. Leather and cats not good mix.
Im late, and in the negotiating process of "do I return home and reload cat into old car" or will she settle down and just lay there like a nice cat. I opt to keep going....

Spread out my jacket for her to lay on (which is a HUGELY nice gesture on my part as Im allergic to her) stroke her fur (not so gentle this time) and proceed to drive off again.
A little further down the road Sassy bolts for the back .... scritch scratch scritch scritch on Tammy's nice new seats. Climbing back up not working out so well, no traction.
Plant foot on brakes again, Sassy sinks her nails IN so as to avoid another plunk. Pull a u-turn to proceed back home causing her to make half a dozen turns around the headrest.

We switched vehicles. I was late for my lunch, but my story more than made up for it.
I havent checked my nice new leather seats yet, dont think I want to.

Whats the morale of the story? Cat carrier.





1 comment:

  1. OMG Tammy, you are hilarious! This is totally something that would happen to me, and likely will some day! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete