Friday, November 12, 2010

Ronald McDonald House Tour

The girls and I (Nicki and the kids) met Jaime at RMH this morning. Nothing short of awesome.
2 years I have been wanting to support them, its now a reality.

Before I get started on the description of our trip there, I am going to share a small detail about myself and how my morning started.
I have A.D.H.D. and yesterday I finally succumbed to the decision to take medication (Ritalin).
The funny part about that was I was diagnosed accidentally as I sat in on a counselling session with one of my daughters. Apparently I had enough symptoms just sitting....
Scored very high. Second opinion, again very high. I was shocked... my peeps were not.

I decided to take my first dose this morning.... with a cup of Timmies (not a bright move on both counts). Guess caffeine and stimulants are not a great mix... OR they are a great mix (if you're pickin up what Im puttin down). I then added to the mix with sugary home baked goods from their gorgeous kitchen (regularly donated by a Hutterite family)... and some pocketed M&M's I snuck from Kali's Halloween candy, rinsed down by another coffee.
Thankfully it did not kick in until the tail end of the visit at RMH.

Back to the House...
It's absolutely beautiful. There are 3 HUGE stylishly designed kitchens that would each support 19 Kids and Counting... or Sister Wives.
There is a HUGE main eating area with a sweet little train smack in the middle. Families congregate there, connect, socialize, and enjoy coffee, baked goods and either donated food (which is always in demand) or their own food stored in several double wide fridges.
We met a couple of kids with their parents - seriously fell in love with both. How I am a sucker for the baldies, I just see such beauty.
This will be my favourite part in future - is connecting with more kids regularly, and not in the hospital environment.
The new addition to the house (just 1 1/2 years old) is now set up for 30 families, 3 levels to the house with playrooms, exercise room, huge laundry.... oh I could go on forever. Furniture all donated by lazyboy. (I'm not mentioning any other sponsors yet because I am not 100% familiar with their set-up - I know there are others).

The staff is very warm and hospitable and the environment is positive, welcoming and comfortable.

When a parent has a child with a serious illness, financial instability is an assumed certainty, bankruptcy is common.
If a family lives out of town, I cannot imagine not having proper accommodations, nevermind any accommodations.
Hotels are cold, expensive and not suitable for children with compromised immune systems or disabilities, even staying with family has its own complications.
We only had a one hour drive to the Cross or Stollery, I thank God it was not any further.
The house meets every need that one could think of for these children.
There are still 15 families on a waiting list. This explains the building of a Red Deer location and a possibility for a north location if opportunity is right - we know the demand is there.
Check this out
http://www.albertalocalnews.com/reddeerexpress/news/Ronald_McDonald_more_than_just_a_house_107039538.html

I was looking forward to saying hi to the baby girl Oxana, who my daughter Kyrsti and I met at the Apple store last week.
Jessica - our friendly tour guide (and staff member) shared news about her... goosebumps. Oxana has been waiting for a heart for 1 year. She is only 1 year, she's been living at the house on a list for that long. She got it yesterday. At first this is a celebratory moment, then one reflects how she attained her new heart. Still... we are all very happy.
Folks - this is the good stuff that keeps fundraising going.
So we feel excellent about our decision to bring them into HM, and we hope you do too.

It's now 11:30 pm. The stuff I took has finally worn off and I am blinking my eyes again.
Dont think I blinked for like 6 hours and I figure I burned at least 6000 calories today.

If you have ever seen "The Fly" with Jeff Goldblum, you can appreciate how I transitioned into this super fast thing with a side order of erratic behaviour, uncontrolled blurting, and atrocious table manners. Although I did not turn into a fly, I now know what one feels like.
I may even stop judging flies for being annoying.

Kids tried to tuck me into an inconspicuous corner at McDonalds, hopeful that we would not be recognized, Nicki brought extra napkins and tried to keep me quiet.
I still feel a little tear in my esophagus tonight from the sharp corners on my fries.

I am hopeful that the side effects will fade away reasonably soon.
Unlike being intoxicated the traditional way, I was fully aware of myself and simply could not control it.... or chose not to care about controlling it.
I also recall all of it - thankfully I have a tendency towards childish behaviour so I likely will not shock anyone that already knows me, and I am pretty much immune to embarrassment.

I only blew up a stove tonight, a big improvement from burning my kitchen down years ago, so I am seeing this a progress. While Gord and Steve repaired the stove, I watched my daughters on Rockband and remembered what the doc said - ADHD is hereditary.

Think it will be good to have the ability to contain my thoughts and possibly organize some of them, and hey - maybe I'll make Nicki's job easier this year and loose a few pounds.








1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to point out that those were not YOUR fries.... you were stealing fries from everyone else at the table...

    ReplyDelete