Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lab tour

Last Thursday I had the privilege of inviting our Hair Massacure planning committee (consisting of long time passionately "involved" volunteers) to tour one of the 4 laboratories that HM is currently funding.
This type of "touring" in my opinion seems unprecedented in that labs typically don't engage in tours.
Research is highly confidential, or at least thats seems to be the norm... until we met Dr. Shairaz Baksh, and Dr. Persad.
Dr. Baksh believes in collaboration and accountability.
I quote "I hold my competition close, as it is my hope that maybe one day they shall do the same".
Having personally witnessed a level of secretiveness with other labs, this man is a breath of fresh air (oh and side note - he also pinks and shaves). Dr. Baksh has initiated national and international meetings with other researchers to share vital information, and reduce repeat projects. This makes me us so proud to be affiliated.
Cool new thing - they are implementing Zebra Fish into an innovative new project. Apparently these fish get human cancers, carrying the same proteins. I dont understand it all, but the focus seems to be centered around certain proteins responsible for cancer cell growth, and how inflammation is the perfect set up for certain common adult cancers (which can be spotted as early as childhood).
Next week we will tour Dr. Persads lab (with Stollery staff) to see their projects.
She (and Shairaz) were most gracious to receive our funding. It was such an honor to be acknowledged like that (including seeing our logo all over their walls).

We have been funding childhood cancer research for the past 5 years (allocated through Stollery) and I am most pleased to say that we are very happy with where our money is going and how its being utilized.
In 2006 after our world record attempt at WEM Santa stage, I decided to switch our funding from family support (through Kids With Cancer Society) to cancer research. This was to be done through Stollery.
Dont get me wrong, this decision was very difficult as our family has always benefited from Kids With Cancer (and still do).
At the time, they did not have a research program (of this type) in place, so we made the switch to fund a "seemingly" futile attempt at effectively fighting this evil disease.
I met with Diane Young (our previous CEO) and explained why I needed to designate our funds (which is not usually met with encouragement because of other areas that really need more funding). She agreed (but with hesitation) and explained that Stollery did not have much of a cancer research program because their focus was on other projects (like heart) so cancer research was not in critical need. Made sense, but inside I disagreed.

I went into this blindly (ironically feeling strongly compelled to do so), as my beliefs (or preconceived notions) about research were alike with the rest of the country - skeptical.
Gordon's loyalty with supporting drug studies was met with full encouragement.
It was he that reminded me about where leukaemia and other cancers stood 40 years ago. Death sentence.
10 years ago, as our daughter's life hung by a thread, an Oncologist approached us with a request to place Kali in a study that involved using elevated doses of chemo (adult levels) with 3 additional drugs, 2 of which were highly toxic with "guaranteed" side effects. It was
scary enough trying to keep Kali stable - then we were approached with this heavy question.
I remember wanting to throw up. Gordon just analyzed it (which disturbed me at the time), then put it into perspective by helping me see that we were helping pave the path that others started, thus increased longevity. How could I argue with that? I grilled the hospital pharmacist (who allowed me to do so whenever I had questions... which was a LOT) and you know the rest of the story - we bought 10 years, and with Gods grace a lot more.

Today the currents stats are that 7 out of 10 will not loose their battle (bearing in mind - this is in the first 5 years).
Point being, there is progress.
I can say that going back 10 years, the treatment the children are receiving now is different.
I am meeting more children now going through more tolerable treatments.
This pleases me.... but not entirely, until its gone.




No comments:

Post a Comment