Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Lots to do, to think about

So here is an update on the progress of that chaotic event that makes my people twitch.

Sunday night we had a registration meeting that lasted only 3 hours. Melynda heads up this area, 2nd in command Joelle, in tow for input - Nicki, Dianna, Pat and even Jessica (our senior youth volunteer). We quite like coffee with our meetings, so we chose Second Cup, and normally I would have made cookies but my girls were fasting (every fall), and I could not subject them to the sinful aroma that makes Cookie Monsters eyes roll.

This meeting was a result of the last meeting that consists of a select few - better known as the planning committee. This is the first year they have a name, after many years of bossing me around (kidding peeps... ).
I really should called then the ownage committee, these folks really DO own a piece of this event. THAT meeting was a few Sundays ago, Jaime Caza hosted at the McDonald's corporate office and once again we were over fed and fussed over.
The meeting consisted of 17, including some of our senior juniors (Kyrsi's peeps of forever who have volunteered since grade 4). We had another lengthy meeting, productive, enjoyable and for the first time EVER I chaired and stuck reasonably to the agenda I created.

Typically I do not chair because I go off in so many directions and become involved in (actually initiate) many simultaneous conversations. My challenge was to attempt staying on track.
The second reason I like to chair is to ensure everyone is heard. The success of this event is based on input, and that interests me.

Back to the registration meeting....it was suggested that we have a follow -up meeting working out only issue of registration. A highly complicated system used to streamline, improve accuracy of participant information and decrease participant wait time.
I took notes and tried to absorb every aspect of this area so I am well knowledged of it.

On a side note, did you know that Jimmy Pattison (who is in his 80's), and owns 130 businesses alongside Pattison is still working, and by working I mean he takes time to involve himself (on ground level) with the mechanics of his many contracts, getting to know (and remember by name) his many associates.

When speaking with a manager from Save On Foods today, I learned that Jimmie pops in occasionally to connect and work in some of the departments of the store so he can learn more about the companies and corporations that do business with him (in this case a grocery store).
He came into one of the stores with his wife one morning and asked if he could stock the milk and work in the dairy and meat section.
Where does that exist other than in Jimmies world? I think we all know the answer.
I want to be THAT.
To make decisions at the top, one must understand what occurs at the bottom.

Registration is by far be the most complicated aspect about our event and it drives many associated with it to want to drink.
So I was thinking.... maybe I should look for a sponsorship for that?
Wonder if future donors and participants would be turned off if © R & A Bailey & Co appeared on our logos page?
Im sure Starbucks would be ok if we had a few complimentary bottles of Baileys sitting next to their urns at the volunteer table, under the registration table... and close to the stylists.... and under the merch table.... We ALWAYS joke about it, maybe they were secretly hoping?

So if you arrive at the event and everyone seems superovercheerful, items of clothing are scattered all over the Ice Surface and perhaps interesting things are being shaved in the clipping area... it wasnt me.

Besides this area, I am also focusing on salons (with my daughter Megs and Mel), Kali Pink distribution (with Collin Parker), pledge package (which have been re-written 10 times), updates in the lab, launching a hard hat campaign with Paul L (possibly through Trades Union?), website stuff (sorting through the mess I have created), hiring a part time assistant to help Nicki and I, schools/ teams, sponsorships, marketing / promotion / media, changing phones, cleaning laptop, making another video (with Nicki), planning the map of the event and so forth.
So things are gong show right now and when anyone asks "whatcha up to?" I just quietly twitch and say "oh... stuff".

Tomorrow, I'm gonna focus on our freedom. As much as we complain that many of our God given rights have been taken away (and to a point, this is in fact true...), we must realize that without our soldiers that had loyalty, vision and the courage to save our future - we may be living under some form of communism (far greater than what many of us believe we are digressing towards).
Because of them, I have the freedom to write a blog, you have the freedom to comment.
I can choose my career, my life (to some extent), my faith, my beliefs, and so forth... and you can choose yours. We have charities, electives for healthcare and education and political choice. Please say a thank you to them that.

Friday, we will tour Ronald McDonald House - update on that to follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment