Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bring your Kid to Work Day

So, it is traditional at this time of year that thousands of grade nine kids go to work with their parents. We, the parents, have decided that it's actually the teachers getting revenge on us because our kids come to their work every day.
So, at the office today we had my daughter Natasha, Jaime's son Tyler, and (because she didn't want to be left out) Tammy's... well... we had FRED. Tammy does not currently have a kid in grade nine so FRED filled in. And was a huge hit as usual.
Between us, we had kids at four different meetings today. They were great - respectful (mostly because they didn't want to talk at all) and probably more than a bit bored, to be honest. I don't know about Tyler, but here are Natasha's thoughts after a day "behind the scenes of Hair Massacure":
  • I would probably explode if I had an office job. There is not enough space... I need room to spread out and think
  • FRED looks funny when Tammy puts his fur in a ponytail
  • Meetings make my head hurt
  • Who knew dogs (FRED) could actually burp?
  • My mom needs a new computer so she can get her work done instead of waiting... and waiting... and waiting...
  • I wish Take Your Kid to Work Day had happened on Massacure day - it's a lot more fun than being in the office

I did feel for the kids; after all it's not all that exciting to sit in meetings that don't concern you (though mini chocolate bars did help), or looking at documents all afternoon. The good thing is that they do have a unique perspective and it was great to see that they do have some critical thinking skills.

I am glad my kid came to work with me - her whole life she has come to events with me, but has never actually seen the "other side" of it - it's not all fun and games and there is a lot of planning involved with events. So, all in all, while she may not be destined for an office job, at least she can say she understands mine a bit more tonight.

I'd be interested to hear Tyler's thoughts on the day - they were headed to a meeting with a sponsor who also had his kid with him today. I wonder how they did?

And on that note, I'd like to thank the teachers for forcing our kids into what we condescendingly call "the real world", and I will thank Tammy, Cathy, Paul, Bryce, Carmelle, and all the other people who welcomed grade nine's into their workday today. It was a neat experience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment