Thursday, March 24, 2011

Aloha

Aloha - to greet with genuine affection. Aloha represents love in Hawaiian.
Mahalo - to thank or acknowledge, show of appreciation.

Its been a few days since our return, and all I can think about is how do I make it possible to go back... indefinitely.
FYI... from my findings this morning on West Jet, I see that the awesome deal we took advantage of months back is still available if one can make the selected sale dates work.

I don't know how or why luck seems to find me in the travel dept but Im very grateful, as it has afforded us the opportunity to see places and learn things that are not commonly found in a text book. I consider this highly valuable in the human experience.

20 years back, Gordon coerced me to go to California (as I believed it would drop into the ocean (guaranteed if I were there). Cancer had taken my favourite aunt that year.
She had lived in CA for most of her interesting life and often spoke about meeting the stars.
A new desire to pay proper respect was met with success considering she had beckoned me to visit for many years. Needless to say we didn't go glug glug.

The coast kept a piece of my soul that summer and every year I must return to feel balance.

As debt compiles, Im ok with that.
My luck with deals serves me very well and until it runs out, I will continue to chase airplanes to find my Zen.

My girls share the same passion for the ocean.
Our home exhibits beach paraphernalia, once stuffed in Kali's pockets and knapsack. Stinky treasures discretely make their way into the garbage, as the contents of our luggage reveals gag worthy sea odour.

As I have shared my affection for the west coast, it pales next to my love for the Hawaiian Islands. Maui in particular, has an energy that leaves one lost for words.
The beauty is indescribable and the climate is comfortable and inviting. Imagine your ideal temperature (you have set the thermostat to it in your home) .... it doesn't seem to change - day or night, indoors or out. Our automatic response to adjust to temperature change out here was not required out there. Sigh....

I think the biggest impact left on us was the Aloha Spirit. A level of respect and recognition for fellow man, animal and planet theoretically should exist globally. On these Islands - not only exists, its the way.

Recycling is habitual, water preservation is priority.
The hotels we visited do not waste. Near end rolls of toilet paper and near empty boxes of tissue reflect an awareness of waste disposal.
Refusal to replace disposable cups and plates (corn based and biodegradable) is communicated with friendly assertiveness on tours.

The locals are proudly protective of their island.
It puzzles me how they welcome us pesky tourists who may not necessarily share the same mindset for the environment. The intrusion of developers who raped their coastline with recreational properties must outrage them yet they remain friendly and personable offering outstanding customer service.

Maui drivers - courteous. The Aloha spirit appears contagious as the spread of genuine cheerfulness and consideration infiltrates the island.
A noticeable difference from the commonly demonstrated road rage and lack of courtesy in most places, including here. A activated signal light is often interpreted as a challenge to cut off and pass. Not there. Not ever. Honking discouraged, not considered "aloha" and is used only for distress or a cue to round a one lane corner. Much appreciated to save the white knuckling for the 700 sharp turns on Hana as opposed to dedicating energy to cursing other drivers.
Speaking of those turns.... common - high elevation, one lane, without shoulder, without guard rail, NOT without prayer.

Efficient burn of calories....more shave ice please (thats a high end slurpie in a bowl with sweet cream). Mmmmmmm.....
Before I ruin the rest of your curiosity, I encourage you to check out my seat sale tip on West Jet and check it out yourself.

Perhaps if all of us experience a little "Avatar", we may collectively discard our disregard for saving our planet and our people by assuming the Aloha Spirit.

Mahalo













No comments:

Post a Comment