Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Praying for Rayne

This post is about our friend Rayne.
Rayne is the daughter of a very dear couple (and Captains for Hair Massacure).
She just celebrated her 16th birthday at Stollery, and diagnosed with gall stones and
pancreatitus on the day of her graduation. Poor kid and Mom spent the night in emerg all decked out in their dresses.
Rayne's surgery was yesterday, this kid has been through the ringer.
It has been described to me by her mother that Rayne has a rare syndrome that resembles an interesting combination of Turrets, ADHD, Downs,
and Autism. She has a learning disability that disables her from understanding what is happening to her, and why these procedures are taking place,
including fasting before surgery and a "no fat"diet after. This girl is DONE with jello after eating it for several days and just wants a good old hamburger and mashed potatoes with gravy!
The morphine is making her itchy and cranky, and her high pain threshold makes her difficult to access.
We have been to Stollery 3 times to visit, and if you have read my previous blogs, I dont do very well in there anymore as my coping skills have diminished to a near
zero as everything is a trigger for a memory of trauma related to either Kali or Mandy. I am quite embarrassed to admit this, but because i wear it on my sleeve it would be ridiculous to try to deny it.
Rayne is admitted into one of the rooms that Kali stayed in (mind you Kali has been inso many - outside of 4E3 (Peds Onclology ward).
It is very difficult to go in there, as it just brings me back. A close mutual friend of ours (Jaime) is in the same boat with her daughter (who is also my wish child), so we both understand what
each other is experiencing being up there. Her daughter too has been in this room along with many others. I sat on the guest bed and remembered how I wratched my back in the 3 years of sleeping there.
I remembered those annoying alarms on the IV poles that go off every 30 minutes, and how the rooms smelled. Surprisingly I was able to eat there (after 8 years of not being able to).
That aside, now our friend Christie is personally going through hardship and we feel for her. We can't take it away, as their journey intends it to be for them, but we can be there to offer
support and guidance and for sure a sounding board. We could also be a sounding board for Rayne but only if we are armed with rain gear and padding as she is a wee bit grumpy.
Christie, bless her heart - still maintains a sense of humour. Christie and her husband Glen have endured quite a journey with their daughter which likely explains their passion for our cause.
They will do anything to help out their peeps, so now it's time for friends to hetheirlp them. THAT is friendship, and they have some great friends. I only wish I could do more....
I hope for a successful recovery for Rayne (and for yourself and Glen). Lets not forget what the parents endure (well.... most - the ones that stick around and prioritize kids) when their children are sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment