Saturday, July 17, 2010

Karma and Kali's yearly test

Before I talk about Kali's appointment, I'm gonna share my Karma story.
My last post talked about my visit with my pregnant cousin (Nicole), where I picked her up with my daughters Firebird and entertained myself watching her struggle to get into the car. :)
Well... I put out my lower back in karate class the night before and so karma caught up with me when I attempted to fold in into that same car yesterday morning. Anyone who has sat in this type of car knows it sits very low and is difficult for the average person to get into. Getting out was even more challenging and very enjoyable for Kali watch on the way to her tests.
When I parked, slowlllly got out and attempted walking, it appeared that I aught to be the patient instead. Tim Conway entering a crosswalk is not favourable to those impatiently waiting in their cars. Will this teach me a lesson about finding cheap thrills in another's clumsy misfortune - likely not....

So....after all my going on and on about going to Stollery to visit Rayne and feeling all messed up for it, Kali had her yearly check up and tests in Peds Oncology (4E2) yesterday.
I hadn't slept the night before, which is rather silly considering I have no control over the situation.
Kal and I did our traditional stop-in for a tea and a breakfast sandwich (which has been tradition for the past 9 years). Used to be as a bribe for her... now its more of a bribe for me.
I was pretty much behaved in clinic this time, not saying I didn't voice any opinions - just more behaved.
I have no qualms about stating any objections in clinic, this would typically be more of a communication issue more than anything else but I am THAT mom that wants to know "why" and "how" and "when"....., a little assertive with the inquiries and opinions but hey - this is my child and I dont take cancer lightly. Gord is the same way.
I am not the kind of neurotic mom that takes her child in to see the doc for every little sniffle or cough, or even a sprain for that matter. We just manage most things at home with the many years of naturopathic medicine I practiced and studied. Chase the girls around, take down / choke hold, pour Eye of Newt down the pie hole..... fixed. When I go to the doctor its for an Oncology thing or because someone's arm is hanging by a tendon.
So... anyhoo - after Kali's check, we scooted over to visit Rayne before heading home. My guts in a twist hoping my cell would not ring asking us to return to clinic. Rayne was grumpy and I didn't blame her... so was I. I was ready to leave Stollery.
Took me 5 minutes to get into the darn car and then it died on the way home. :(
My Toyota Massacar would never have done that to me (knock head).
Thank God for my son-in-law Steven. He came to our rescue and boosted us, BUT in order to reach his cables to mine, we had to push the car to an empty area in the parking lot. Again, Kali was entertained.

Getting out of bed this morning was a full drama production.... a little opera singing, some yodelling - the kids raked me over the coals for it.
Car needed repair so I sucked it up to sorta helped (in a feeble way...L to forehead.)
Gord and Steve came over to rescue, and the car is now operating, however it is a Firebird so the next repair is right around the corner.
Cancelled all plans for the day, but no one is feeling sorry for me and it's all because of karma.
I ended my evening with a very enjoyable conversation with a good friend (Deb) who recently moved from Stollery to Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto. She is irreplaceable and very much missed.
I am going to bed expectating that tomorrow I will be back to normal, at least my kinda normal.


No comments:

Post a Comment