Monday, June 7, 2010

Women of Distinction Gala

I would like to dedicate this post to 3 incredible Women of Distinction:
http://www.ywcaofedmonton.org/pro_distinct.php
My 13 year old daughter Kyrsti (who wows me every day)
My friend Jaime Caza (Community Relations for McDonald's Corporate Restaurants)
My friend Deborah Mckinnon (Associate - prior Senior Manager, Corporate Giving Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation).

I'd like to start with Kyrsti.
Kyrsti was always a "super baby", an over achiever, excelling at nearly everything she attempted, and game to try nearly everything. Always positive, never moody or difficult, and
very conscience about quality of life.
In her group (18 and under), she was among 5 18 year old girls, a very difficult category. Kyrsti's nominator was Jaime Caza, and received supporting letters for her nomination from myself (Hair Massacure), Stollery, Make-A-Wish, and her school.
Her qualifications include: School President, 2nd degree Black Belt (and assistant instructor) in Uechi Ryu Karate, 5 years in Hip Hop (choreography and volunteer experience), basketball league (school), photographer/ youth coordinator / member-planning committee for Hair Masscure, and various volunteer opportunities for charitable organizations such as Kids With Cancer, Make-A-Wish, Children's Miracle Network and Ronald McDonald House.
Kyrsti did not take home the trophy, but handled the situation very well and immediately went over to congratulate the chosen nominee. That spoke volumes on the type of young lady she is.
To us, she won. Those that know her would support this.
Next up is Deborah. 3 1/2 years ago, Deb and I did not mesh very well. I was assigned to her as one of her largest accounts, so we had to work closely together. I was not fond of this interference. I drove her crazy with my Tammyisms and lack of organization. She drove me crazy with her "demands" and silly rules. I stored every piece of information about the Massacure in my little head (and MY computer) and did not like to "share", making tracking an impossibility for Stollery. Deb followed protocol, Tammy changed (or tried to change) protocol. Tammy hugged, Deborah showered after hugs.... Somewhere along the way we managed to meet in the middle, and have been great friends ever since. She hugs me now.
Like the onion on Blindside, Deb has gradually revealed herself to the point where my fondness and respect for her is huge. I was her nominator. Last year, she wrote a supporting letter for me. Deb did not bring home a trophy in the business category, but we all feel that she is still the winner for all of her business accomplishments over the years. Deb was responsible for managing over 2000 acounts, as well as pairing Stollery and Make-A-Wish together (my wish came true). She should have won. Now Deb is working for Toronto Sick Kids Hospital, and managing the Children's Miracle Network. We all miss her.
Jaime Caza. I met Jaime in 2006, looking for sponsorship from McDonalds. For 2 years I knew Jaime in that capacity - as my sponsor. I often make a point to get to know my sponsors on a personal level, so occasionally we would hook up for coffee.
Then one day she invited me to her birthday party and everything changed. I saw Jaime in another light.... and I knew I loved her! She's crazy too! Jaime shared her friends and family, which I consider a huge honor. It was quite some time after that when I figured out that she qualified as a wish mom (her daughter Kailey a wish child). I was Kaileys wish grantor and the relationship continued to grow.
Jaime's involvement in her community is huge, particularly with Ronald McDonald House and Hair Massacure. She has sponsored and supported many an organization (and individuals) over the years, and she herself has had an incredible journey. Her category was Turning Point. This was mine from last year. I am her nominator, and knew last year as I was chosen that Jaime was a perfect candidate. I think she should have won based on her impact her in Edmonton, but whatever....
Jaime handled the situation very well also (although a little different than Kyrsti...) - 3 bottles of wine and the funniest pictures taken in history. Christie and Natasha accompanied (and empowered) her, while her mother and husband watched the action. We all feel that had she won, the mood may not have been so "relaxed".... lol (had to be there...).

The judges see only what they are presented with, and make a decision based on a few support letters and a brief bio. This is all relative to how the information is processed (on paper), and I dont feel this is an accurate way to decide who is a winner - they all are.

This particular evening was one of the funnest events I have ever attended. Deborah and Jaime were footloose and fancy free, Kyrsti and I could not stop laughing (at Jaime, Christie and Deborah), our entire family in tow and friends from Stollery and Make-A-Wish (next table). It was a blast! Cheers to the nominees!




No comments:

Post a Comment