Monday, June 21, 2010

Mandy

Today’s post is dedicated to my daughter Mandy. Mandy is the catalyst that brought me to study natural medicine, and develop an understanding of our medical system.... Mandy prepared me for dealing with Kali.

I am currently sitting in the office of Mandy’s Psychologist who will be working with her on a weekly basis for an extended period of time. I am feeling extremely thankful that her seizures were manageable during those chaotic Massacure months. Now that I have a bit of time to think and breathe, I can tend to matters that affect the family.

I am indebted to my friend Mel (our crazy stylist captain) who pointed us in the direction toward some answers and treatment. Finally. (Thanks GF)

It’s been 21 years since Mandy had a near fatal head injury, and the journey ever since has been interesting to say the least. Like myself – Mandy is accident prone and has a total of 8 concussions in her lifetime (where I have only had 2). She endured 13 of the worst years of her life in the school system where she fell through the cracks of the “education” system and fell victim to the ongoing brutality of her peers. Some misguided children can be very cruel to those struggling with developmental or physical disabilities, needless to say Mandy did not have a favorable childhood (between school and ongoing health issues). On the medical side, not a great experience. Frustrating, and often patronizing. One tends to feel guilty for wasting their precious time, or God forbid asking questions about potential side affects. Any parent who has a child with a long term serious medical condition knows exactly what I am talking about.

Mandy has always had health issues. In 2005 she was placed in Peds Oncology for a tumor spotted on her right kidney. Ironically her room (and bed) was where Kali was diagnosed in and spent her first month of treatment. Complications from that surgery and kidney complications lasted for 3 years.

My daughter has a crazy tolerance to pain, but her feelings are a different story. Those bruise quite easily and we understand why. I am happy to say that she is very happy at her place of employment as a dog groomers assistant – her boss (Jenn) is wonderful to her and has become a friend of the family. Mandy's gift is working with animals (hence - the pink F.R.E.D), and most importantly entertaining her loved ones. Funniest kid EVER.
We are hopeful that she can find relief for the continual head pain and seizures she endures.
It's most amusing when Mandy is exposed to unnecessary drama coming from individuals that can't seem to find their big girl (or big boy) panties. Dare anyone whine about trivial and ridiculous matters, they may get put in their place!

No comments:

Post a Comment