Saturday, June 12, 2010

Earnst and Young - nomination for Entrepreneur of the Year. Finalist for Edmonton Region

So.... I have been nominated for Entrepreneur of the year (through Earnst and Young). My category is "Social Entrepreneur" and I am a finalist in the Edmonton region in this category. There are
2 more from the prairies (Calgary and Saskatchewan). Whomever makes the finalist position of us 3 will move onto represent the Prairies
I attended a nominees reception on June 10th with Nicki and Jaime. Jaime came as one of my major sponsors, and Nicki was contacted by the V.P. of E and Y (Darcy) a couple of months back. He wanted her to fill out a nomination form on my behalf, as he had heard about our event, studied it and felt I was a perfect fit for this category. I was interviewed last month at the office by the VP and CEO (see post). Nicki would be considered my nominator. The winner last year in the Social Entrepreneurial category was Gloria Meldrum (founder and chair) of Little Warriors. We had a sweet opportunity to hook with her at the reception (she was the speaker for the evening). After 2 minutes of conversation with this lady, I felt immediately at ease. I was very nervous preparing for the evening, and considered a barf bag propped up against me on the drive there. I realized that I did not necessarily have to completely behave for the duration of the evening after my conversation with Gloria, she is very much at home anywhere which I like every much and have adopted into my own personal life (with exception this this particular situation being amongst the "suits"- very intimidating).
I wore black this day, not white (for obvious Tammy reasons), stable shoes (tripping sometimes an issue), applied Dry Idea twice (just in case), and spit out the gum. For 2 hours, I tried to look professional and put together, until my hair got stuck in the curtains. Then I put my plate of food on the ledge (just behind jaime) and she leaned her bum against it, we snickered during speeches only a bit. Then I didn't know where to go when they called my name to pick up my certificate, got confused and headed for the stage instead of the back wall. Then we met Gloria, and like I said - I was able to relax. This lady is amazing.
We also met a gal who owns Gravity Pope (Louise Dirks). Very nice gal. Generously offered to help the cause (as Gloria did)
Apparently Ellen LOVES her shoes and endorses them on her show. I NEED Ellen - desperately. Had to hold back sharing this information with her.
SO now, I wait until July sometime when the judges review all of our information and select one per category. The finalists that represent their category will go on to Calgary in October for a finalist Gala with over 1000 people in attendance.
Anyhoo... I can breathe a bit now. Regardless, this is great opportunity for Hair Massacure.

No comments:

Post a Comment