Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Women of Distinction

On June 3rd, the YWCA will be hosting its annual Women of Distinction Gala.
I am proud to announce 3 people who have been chosen as finalists:
-My 13 year old daughter Kyrsti (in the category 18 and under).
-Jaime Caza (my corporate sponsor from McDonald's) and dear friend.
-Deborah McKinnon (my colleague from Stollery - now Toronto's Sick Kids and dear friend).
Two weeks ago I had the privilege of attending the nominees dessert reception. That is reason alone to nominate someone, the desserts there are to die for. I attended with my nominee Jaime Caza, Kyrsti attended with hers (Jaime Caza) and to spice up that situation, Christie Peters (not the flat version) came as the entertainment.
Last year I attended with my daughter Megs (as I was nominated as well) and recalled the pressure of be forced on best behaviour. That was a bust shortly after I arrived, and I wont repeat some of the things I said (innocently) to my fellow candidates or my daughter will kill me all over again. In my defence I eventually had a few of them chuckling... except maybe the nun.
The topper was when my chocolate covered strawberry leaped off my plate, gained air speed and beaned another candidate on the top of where the crown would go.
Speaking of crowns - I will soon have to relinquish mine, as it has been one year since I was awarded Woman of Distinction (sounds funny to put myself in that same sentence - with the distinction part...). Jaime, heads up. I may not be ready for this, dont take it personally if there are explosives in your crown. Good ol' Miss Congeniality.
So back to the dessert reception for this year. Jaime tripped over Kyrsti's puff pastry and cheesecake, but that's ok. - trappers daughter - I told her it was still ok (5 second rule).
Christie was up to her typical shenanigans and I was of utmost sophistication. Sat by the young lady playing the harp and didn't use my business card even once to pick the lemon zest out of my teeth. It was a lovely evening and I am most excited to attend this upcoming Gala.
I hope my peeps win! Kyrsti has written her speech already. I offered to help, but I guess she felt that my colourful speech from last year was cause to say "no thank you". I wrote a lovely one too last year, but wavered a little bit with my story about feeding roadkill to my ex in-laws. Kyrsti will stay on topic, I'm sure. She's a great kid. They are all great.... in fact I am very blessed with great people in my life.
Good luck Deb (who is travelling back from Toronto for this occasion), Jaime and Kyrsti.
Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment