Sunday, August 8, 2010

Our story

Well folks,
Ive realized a few things in the days that I have been laid up and sprawled out on my couch....
First... about this attention deficit thing- it may actually hold some truth, but Im am still in active denial so don't bring it up with me if you see me on the street (wait.... I'm NOT on the street). :(
Also, I really do like Golden Girls, and I think I have hit a wall in regards to retelling our "story" over and over from Fall to February.
I know these subjects have no relevance to each other, but this is my current thought process these days (besides meeting Ellen and snagging a punchy entertainer to perform for the event).
I think it's because I am halfway through "Eat Love Pray" and it's been eye opening.
My daughter always picks the best books for me, so after reading this particular one, she was enlightened to enlighten me.
I do not share the same story as the author (for those of you who are familiar), however what I relate to is "hitting a wall".
Cancer has been in predominantly in our lives for 10 years now, and although I am thankful for our many blessings (resulting as the silver lining) I have that gut feel that in some ways it's time to move on.
Cancer has also taken our home, our lifestyle and our marriage, so moving on encompasses so much more.
My thought process is this:
What I'm prepared to do is remain with the event as the executive director, diva, or big cheese...
I'm prepared to work hard with my magnificent team (and hopefully have some fun doing it....)
I'm prepared to torture my hair every winter by bleaching, pinking and bleaching again....
I'm prepared to carry Preparation H around in my purse for television spots (dontcha love HD)...
walk around with a large pink dog, wear a black hoodie with my name on it everyday for 4 months, drive a billboard, create unorganized chaos, lint brush KaliBear hair off of everything, miss sleep, not drink coffee or ingest sugar for the entire champaign, time with family and Christmas (as it rightfully should be celebrated).

I am no longer prepared to live in the past, pull my daughter out of school every 3rd day, establish her soul identity as the "little girl who fought cancer" and retell our story - her battle.
We all agree as a family that its time to move on and put her cancer behind us.

Now, I'm not quite sure how to do this as "cancer" is the very motivation behind the event and the "story" is the fuel that makes this event popular. So this is my assigned brain storming while I lay on my couch getting fatter by the day. How to promote the event without our story (as this has become signature).
This worries me, but I am desperate for change.
Would love your feedback....



No comments:

Post a Comment