Sunday, August 21, 2011

A HAPPY OUTCOME

My last post on thursday was long overdue. It reflected hidden struggles this past year, and my involvement with Hair Massacure.
Just as I finished and hit "publish" I received a disturbing text.
My friend who was at the Taylor Swift concert with her 2 daughters was now in an ambulance on the way to Stollery with her older daughter. Her o2 dangerously low, she was blue. This is a unfortunate and familiar occurrence in this family. They were only 2 songs in when the episode happened.
Kailey is my wish child, and her mom Jaime is a very dear friend, volunteer and sponsor of Hair Massacure.
I have a soft spot for this girl and her family. Her story is phenomenal because Kailey does NOT present as a child with life threatening conditions. She plays hockey and lives life to considerable normalcy (for a girl with lung disease who cannot drink as liquids are fatal for her). Her attitude (her spirit) strikes me as her saviour (next to her family) - a common trait seen in these children whose mortality stares at them in the face.

On Tuesday we learned that 3 children passedon from one of our charities this week. Really brings it home, the harsh reality of a situation that could be your own.
My friend filled with trepidation as she prayed in the ambulance, like many times before.
There is a happy ending however (to this story)....
Learning about the concert nightmare, and feeling my friends heart break as she texted in the hospital prompted a phone call to a friend from CISN, my sponsor of 6 years.
Chris Sheetz, being the warm heart he is, put in a few calls and the result was a call back to me from Rexall. My angelic contact there was moved by the story and made magic happen.
Kailey, mom and little sis would get to meet Taylor after a second opportunity to see her performance.

The next day, I received a phone call from Miss Kailey. She was trying to say thank you, but the tears won that conversation. HIGHLIGHT OF MY DAY was the picture emailed of Taylor with Jaime, Kailey and Sidney. HUGE smiles.
I also took note of the fact that Taylor is almost a foot taller than all of them! Not the first time I have heard how nice Taylor Swift is.
My only disappointment was the confiscation of the Kali Bear that was to be presented to her at the meet and greet.
So back to normal?? Sure hope so... at least for a while.




1 comment:

  1. They are an extrodinary family, Kailey is a fighter yes she is! Tammy thank you for making this happen for Kailey,Syd and Jaime...They were beaming, although I think Jaime was they most star struck. Today she was still saying, I can't believe I met Taylor Swift.
    You Rock MacDonald!!!

    ReplyDelete